Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

This is a frog that I did for the popper swap a bit back, a few people requested a SBS on it and I didn't have the materials until today. Only a fishing shop down in Kalamazoo carries them, and I haven't been down in a while.

The bodies are soft foam bug bodies by Wapsi. They come in black and white, I actually like the black generally just because one potential problem ( I'll cover it later ) is hidden.

http://www.wapsifly.com/bb.html

For one frog you need 2 ant bodies and 2 spider bodies. I'm using size 8 in both.

post-37716-0-02422300-1370553044_thumb.jpg

This probably could be an optional step, but I make a shallow lengthwise slit in a spider body to fit the hook shank into. I think it gives better clearance for the hook point on smaller hooks. If using a bigger hook you probably don't need it. A thread base on the hook shank helps hold the body in position so it won't rotate or slide down the hook bend.

post-37716-0-23238000-1370553116_thumb.jpg

Take 3-5 strands of rubber legs and knot them making the forelegs of the frog. When gluing them onto the foam, I like to lay them as flat as possible so the top foam sits flush. In retrospect I would have done 5 legs, this little guy looks a bit weak up front... but it's due to the smaller diameter rubber I used (this is medium grizzly legs)

post-37716-0-34008400-1370553161_thumb.jpg

Glue on the top spider body. I flood the merger of the spider bodies with CA glue and use a bit of pressure for a few seconds.

post-37716-0-99613800-1370553206_thumb.jpg

Now to make the legs, you take an ant body, apply as LITTLE super glue as you can at the merger and pinch it into an "L" shape for about 10 seconds. If you use too much glue it'll run all over and stick your fingers together. Not that I've ever done it...

post-37716-0-23477800-1370553267_thumb.jpg

Now glue your bent legs onto the back of frog, again apply pressure for about 10 seconds for a good adhesion between the foam surfaces.

post-37716-0-05550200-1370553320_thumb.jpg

Glue on some doll eyes up front...

post-37716-0-65498700-1370553386_thumb.jpg

And now if you're using the white foam, I like to pre-color it with markers. I also did the SBS in white to show you one of the problems I've found when doing these. See the white spots where the marker didn't take? That's where the CA glue leaks onto the outside of the foam. Alcohol based markers won't stick to it, and it causes some problems with the nail polish as well. This is why I like using the black foam and/or coloring the body before I paint it. Even if the bodies are colored before you glue it, the CA will strip the marker off the foam. This is probably the hardest part about making this fly in my opinion.

post-37716-0-91656900-1370553453_thumb.jpg

I use nail polish on mine, green on top and yellow underneath. I try to sort of blend them while wet, and generally do a couple coats.

post-37716-0-93705800-1370553530_thumb.jpg

These are golden pheasant neck feathers, I don't know if you can get them individually, but whole skins (minus the crest and tippet) are not all that much and have a ton of really cool feathers on them. Worth it I think. Make the girlfriend/ wife/ financial officer ear rings out of these and it will ease future bird skin purchases.

post-37716-0-75019100-1370553587_thumb.jpg

After stripping them to size, glue them on to the backs of the feet. I leave a bit of stem just for ease of placement (you might have to hold it there for a few seconds) but trim it off later.

post-37716-0-77584700-1370553647_thumb.jpg

Both feet attached and trimmed... The CA glue will turn white when wet, so sometimes I overcoat the glue spot with more nail polish, but I doubt it matters much.

post-37716-0-74900500-1370553705_thumb.jpg

Frog from the front, enjoy!

post-37716-0-84853000-1370553778_thumb.jpg

I didn't do a weed guard in this SBS, but it would be really easy to add. I actually go sans weed guard alot, carefully working it over lilly pads doesn't snag it like crashing a heavy bass lure through does. And if you're skilled with a razor blade, a small glass rattle will fit inside the top spider body before you glue it on.

Nate

Very nice pattern. I will have to give that a go.

I've tied glued a few flies together like this ... but I do like your pattern.

I would recommend wrapping the hook with a layer of thread before beginning the fly. I find the glue sometimes come loose on bare hooks, letting the body slide down the hook bend.

I forgot to mention that, I'll edit it.

If you look in the second picture you'll see a base of black thread, thanks for reminding me Mike...