Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Current Angler

Tippet Ring Curly-Q's

Anyone that uses tippet rings find a way to avoid kinks in the line after tying the knot to the ring? I've been told this only happens with inexpensive tippet rings (which I found to be true), but have also experienced it with Rio and Hanak rings now as well. My guess is it's not the ring, but the way my knot is tightening. I'm using a duncan loop/uni knot, tying the knot and tightening it before snugging it down tight. I moisten the knot before pulling it as well. I'm sure the kinks straighten when fishing a fly, but it makes me a heck of a lot less confident.

I use clinch knots to tippet rings and tighten with the tag.  For a uni knot don't get it too tight. Then snug it to the ring. Then tighten by pulling the tag. That should solve your problem.

An alternative when setting up leaders is to switch to fluorocarbon leader material… Make your knots without regard for any curling or kinking, then simply attach your fly to a solid anchor and stretch and hold the leader tight for a moment… Any curls or kinks will disappear like magic.  It’s a characteristic of fluoro - and the reason why most of us saltwater types no longer use leader stretchers.  They’re just not needed with fluoro…

cant be much different than tying a leader onto a hook eye

wet a clinch knot and pull the tag end

On 3/18/2022 at 7:22 PM, Sandan said:

For a uni knot don't get it too tight. Then snug it to the ring. Then tighten by pulling the tag.

That did it. Tightening the knot until it was almost snug, then pulling it down to the ring with my fingers, not by pulling on the main line, was the solution.

On 3/19/2022 at 6:18 AM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

An alternative when setting up leaders is to switch to fluorocarbon leader material… Make your knots without regard for any curling or kinking, then simply attach your fly to a solid anchor and stretch and hold the leader tight for a moment… Any curls or kinks will disappear like magic.  It’s a characteristic of fluoro - and the reason why most of us saltwater types no longer use leader stretchers.  They’re just not needed with fluoro…

I tried it with fluoro, and you're right; unfortunately, I don't have any fluoro in the right size for the leader I was building.