Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
upnorthtier

smoky conditions

Its been a bad wild fire season here in the Yukon, smoke is in the air. Been 25 to 30 Celsius here for the last 2 weeks with thunder and lightning almost every evening. 130 new fires in the last week alone. Some towns have been evacuated and some are on evacuation notice. here s a pick of all active fires in the Yukon, yellow markers are new fires in past 24 hrs.

yukon-wildfire-map-friday.jpg.146d9c3b8da972806441d768113834ab.jpg

I'm good where I'm at in Whitehorse, just not enough man power to fight all these fires, with 42 000 population for the whole Yukon of whom  3/4 live in Whitehorse. Almost all resource is kept for Whitehorse, most fires elsewhere are left to burn. There's only 4 hwys, Alaska hwy life line for the whole territory, the Haines hwy then the Robert Campbell and the Klondike hwy that are both closed due from the fires. Last week the Alaska hwy was closed for a few days because of a beaver dam ruptured and washed out a section of the road, they have a bypass now so stuff can get threw. 

The population has doubled since my brother moved up there in the early 80's. Was 20,000 then with 12.000 in Whitehorse. He lived in Haines Junction which was pretty small at the time.

Les

Thanks for the info. The only news about fires I have seen on the news is in California.

Growing up we went thru Whitehorse many time heading home to Alaska.

Rick

Update, been raining (thank god) and lower temps for the last 2 days. Only 2 new fires in past 24 hrs with around 160 active fires still burning. all highways are open now and evacuations been recalled.

On 7/11/2022 at 1:35 PM, Lesg said:

The population has doubled since my brother moved up there in the early 80's. Was 20,000 then with 12.000 in Whitehorse. He lived in Haines Junction which was pretty small at the time.

Les

I've been here since the 90's, Haines Junction and all other communities have not grown much since, all the growth is in Whitehorse. Really hard to find a house to buy up here, a rental forget about it. I'm a carpenter, the houses we build sell as soon as there framed still months away of being finished. Drove the prices sky high with some bidding wars, some end up getting over 100k more than asking price, its ridiculous. For a 3 bedroom, 2 bath new house goes for 700k minimum. I heard per capita Whitehorse has the biggest growth in Canada. Why are they all coming up here? Just not the same anymore, i knew more people 15 years ago than i know now. I'm off to work to build a house.

alaska-highway-washout.webp