Fly Tying
flygirl

Flyfishing Show

The Fly Fishing Show is coming up this month in NJ.... I'm undecided on going only because Exhibitors are not listed  with only 3 wks away.  E mails to the show for info since Nov have gone unanswered .   Anyone here plan on attending  ?    I had the same problem with the Flytying Show back in Nov...seems I saved some $$$  by not going,.

I'm on the fence, NJ used to be a better vendor venue than Marlboro but the fly tying symposium left me a little disappointed. As far as shows go this year I might stick with the Connecticut fly fisherman's association one day show in South Windsor next month. Much smaller with a fewer vendors & $3.00 admission, but less travel and fuel costs. Like I said I'm on the fence about NJ or Marlboro.

I will probably go to the Marlboro show depending on weather and other happenings, haven't been in quite a few years.   

3 hours ago, cphubert said:

I'm on the fence, NJ used to be a better vendor venue than Marlboro but the fly tying symposium left me a little disappointed. As far as shows go this year I might stick with the Connecticut fly fisherman's association one day show in South Windsor next month. Much smaller with a fewer vendors & $3.00 admission, but less travel and fuel costs. Like I said I'm on the fence about NJ or Marlboro.

CT Fly Fishing Club | Connecticut Fly Fisherman's Association

that might be a good one and closer than NJ

I can see the Marlboro FFS location from my office window and according to google maps the Trade Center is 937’ from my desk.  It’s become a tradition for me to cut out of work early on the Friday of the show, soo- hell yeah, I look forward to it.  It may have its faults but he FFS is still WAY better than working.  Besides chopping a work day in half the reason I go is to purchase tying materials.  Deals are rare but I really like digging through the boxes of the flea market style vendors and finding something.   I almost never order natural materials online so for most of the year I’m limited to whatever is hanging on the walls of the local shops or Cabela’s and Bass Pro.  I like to see (and handle) what’s new out there in the fly-fishing world.   Plus, it happens in the dark, arctic month of January-. It’s good for the soul to get out, to be around fellow anglers/tyers and think fishing.  For me the FFS is a tangible reminder that the sun didn't burn out and that the earth is not always going to be frozen solid.  

Tying at Marlborough and the Edison show.  The Edison show used to be about 3x the size of Marlborough show. Last year the Edison show was about 2/3 of its usual size, but I attributed that to the "hangover" from COVID. Should be back to the typical size this year, based on the number of celebrities and fly tyers listed.  The shows generally only list the exhibitors when they publish the map, about 2-3 weeks before the show. No idea why they wait so long - ask Ben Furimsky (Fly FIshing Show manager) when you see him there. 

The CFFA show was about 1/2 to 2/3 the size of the Marlborough show, when it last occurred (2019?). It is shorter in duration (6 hrs on one day, not 8 hrs/day for 3 days). And it does not have the number of presentations and speakers. However, it is a friendly show, with a relaxed atmosphere. It has several interesting small vendors and good bargains on unusual items. And a bunch of tyers. It's small enough that allows for spending time with each of the tyers. I'm tying at that show also. 

Hope to see you at one or more of the shows.

-Peter

www.petersimonsonflydresser.com

We really don't have FFS here but we do have fishing/outdoor shows.They are cheezy,filled with the latest and greatest gear .Spinning casting ice fishing great lakes archery etc.Some wild animal displays with snakes turtles gators.Some rescued raptors .Resorts and destinations are well represented.Great way to spend a winter day and there are some fly tying items here and there as well as a tying club or 2.I have picked up a few vintage fly rods and reels over the years.I fish glass 90% of the time and the new stuff around here is all graphite.I have at lest 40 flyrods and don't need another until i see that Phillipson or Heddon on the used rack.I love the shows,have since i was a kid.

I’ve attended the Somerset show for years before it moved to Edison. I attended the 1st Edison show & posted  my experience concerning the seminars in a space separated only by drapes…. the   ‘manager ‘  does not take well to constructive criticism by his response to me .  They used to post exhibitors well in advance … TBA only tells me that there are few.  I used to go to Marlborough show but it was getting smaller & smaller.    Sad how things change ….. it’s all about.   $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i liked attending the "art of the angler" show in Danbury, CT but that's no longer happening

the other good show was the "world fly fishing expo" at the Shriners auditorium up in Wilmington, mass

sadly, both are gone

They sure do come and go.The one i still attend is local but really took off.It used to be at the high school in 2 gyms.After a couple years all the hallways were filled.Kayaks to try in the pools.Seminars in the theatre.Covid killed it but it is coming back to a local convention center.Will check it out ,bring the grandsons.