Fly Tying
Al Beatty

Non-Tying Question

Me: Fulltime student of Life, Father to 3 boys, and oh yeah A Locksmith, service technician for a glass and door co. I fix all that crap hanging on commercial steel, aluminum, and wood doors.

Wife: Cook for a local head start, so she gets her summers off.....lucky

We love backpacking, hiking, camping fly fishing and tying......want to someday when the boys get older to Fish and hike the Appalachian Trail, and retire early, LOL

I was an Electronic Technician for 21 yrs wiring/repairing Motor speed Controls , then X-ray systems...(industrial & research). When I started to see manufacturing leaving our country , I jumped ship , changed careers & became a Nurse. Plenty of job security now...plus I still do electronics on the side for extra $$ ;)

I am what is called a Direct Care Worker here in Nova Scotia (a Certified Nursing Assistant in Florida), I work with mentally challenged and autistic adults mostly. My wife is disabled and is an unpaid homemaker...well she actually is paid....my pay! :hyst: We have 3 daughters, 5 grandkids (so far), 2 cats and a hyperactive mutt.I've worn many hats over the years but this one suits me the best...until I win the lottery and retire to be a full time fishbum...

I'm a high school student im 17,goin into architexture or conservation,i fly fish,snowboard,currently have a girlfriend who supports everything i do and is entertained and amused when she watches me make flies hahahha

I'm a General Foreman of HEAVY EQUIPMENT operators for a large steel mill service provider (basically a soupped up secretary most days). I tie and fish all my wife and the yard work ect ect will let me

The boss lady is a care giver for the edlerly and a full time mom to two wonderful kids and me. Now if I could just get her hooked on fishing!! :rolleyes:

20 yr old student Currently on a medical leave from having GBS.

and the GF goes to UCB studying hard for a double major..

Is anyone an environmental scientist/ Hydrologist? would love to hear anything about your field work!

I'm an electrical engineer at a 100% Recycle Paper Mill of the 2nd largest containerboard company in the U.S. Been doing this for about 20 years now in both Florida and Texas. Just a paper mill gypsy.

The wife is an environmental manager for a different paper company.

Hi Group,

I started this thread in 05, glanced at it a few times and then personal "stuff" started happening (death in Gretchen's family, divorce and other challenging things). So to be honest with all of you, even though I started this thread I didn't follow it as much as I could have. I had a few minutes today to check on FTF and popped in to check postings. I refound this post and have now spent the most wonderful hour (plus) reading what all of you do for a living. I'm sincere in saying that the last hour or so has been the most fun I've had standing up in quite some time. Thank you ALL.

Now for an update: When I last posted Gretchen still worked for the State of Idaho in Human Resources. She has since retired and returned to the keyboard/camera/fly-tying vise. It's really great having her at my side as we "crank out orders" and brain storm the next book or magazine article. In fact we decided to do something we've never done in that regard before, self publish a second edition of one of our first books together (Tying Hair-Wing Flies). It should be fun we hope and will know more after the next months unfold and we find out whether we like doing our own publishing or we'll want someone else to do for future projects.

Right now Gretchen is recouperating from hand surgery (yesterday) and will be layed up for the next two months. We've both had this surgery before (me both hands and now Gretchen in both hands). It's caused by doing something "repetative" that we do a lot of; I can't imagine WHAT that could be! <G>

How has the bad economy treated all of you? I see Arkansas Mike is robbing 7-11's for a living and I hope he doesn't have to take an early retirement!!! Behind Bars!<G> Anyway, no matter what all of you are now doing for a living I hope things are going well for you OR looking in a positive direction. For now, Take care & ...

Merry Christmas - Gretchen & Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com