Fly Tying
bullhead

For the folks who furl leaders

Hello, I am using Kathy Scott's video for furling. I am looking for the pound test mono or fluor to use. I am throwing 7 and 8 wt lines. Thanks

Bullhead

I built a board, and did a few dozen furled leaders about 20 years ago.  For many years I built my own leaders using a formula for each section I found in a Fly Fisherman Magazine.  Then I did build a board about 20 years ago and made some furled leaders.  Never thought they were worth the effort.  So I went back to tying sectional leaders.  I still use the same formula.  There are 2 parts:, first the butt section is simply the full leader length you want to tie divided by .275.  (Butt section = L x .275) each other section uses this formula (Ln=Lp*.55*(dp^/dn^)  I did the math, and built a chart now I simply follow the chart.  I use standard mono-filament, and each leader works out to cost less that 50 cents.  If your interested, in trying this method, PM me and I will send you my charts.  

Years ago I built a lot of furled leaders using Kathy's method. I tried using mono a couple of times but I could never get it to work. I stuck with 6/0 Uni-Thread, which worked beautifully. If I was going to try mono or fluoro again, I'd try to find some with a similar diameter to that of the Uni-Thread, which would have to be pretty darned fine -- maybe 6x-7x? 

I don't have the skills to make a board and then do a furled leader.  I do have a nice collection of thread furled leaders, including a couple made for bass.  I also brought a couple made of fluorocarbon for bass.  I use both with either my 6 wgt or 8 wgt.   Consider the rods you're going to use, but also consider the size of the flies you're going to use.  What is it going to take to turn over those flies.  The bass thread leaders I have are made with heavy thread.  I would say A size or D size.  It's harder to tell with the fluorocarbon ones, but at least 8 lb fluorocarbon.  I would experiment with different sizes of fluorocarbon.  Try 6 lb, 8 lb and 10 lb and see which one turns over your flies.  Generally, I use a 20 lb tippet with both the thread and fluorocarbon leaders.  The combination turns over any of my bass flies.

Thanks for the information. I will experiment with 6, 8 and 10 pound mono and fluor. 90 percent of my fishing is for river smallmouth with poppers, Clousers and large streamers

Bullhead

Denduke, you use soft mono like stren for those leaders or stiffer like maxima? 🎽🎽🎽🎽

Berkeley Big Game,  best mono around.  Never thought about limpness…. Used some flouro too.