Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Martin 67A reel vs Pflueger Medalist 1495 reel?

I'm having problems finding specifications for these reels.  I want one for a 7 wt line.

Thoughts/opinions?

Thanks,

Dan

What are the specs you're looking for - line & backing capacity, dimensions, weight?

For a 7wt line plus backing, I would suggest a 1495, not sure about the Martins.  Some complain about the 1495's being a bit heavy, but it never bothered me.  

I always put fly line on the spool first and them fill it with backing to find the right amount of both, then reverse it.  I never measure.  

Thanks!

I JUST bought a 1495 a few minutes ago so the Martin specs don't matter now.

Does the pound test of the backing I use matter?  I know the heavier backing will take a bit less.  What weight backing do you recommend?

Also, the 1495 has seen better days.  It doesn't look like it has been abused but normal wear has taken its toll on the finish plus it's going to need a good cleaning.

What's a good touch-up to use other than magic marker?  😁

Will soaking it in a warm solution of Dawn and water hurt anything since I'll be lubricating after it dries anyhow?  It looks like it has some oily/dusty stuff on it.

Regular name brands of reel grease (Penn Precision Reel Grease) and reel oil (Abu Garcia Silicote Reel Oil) good enough in the right locations?

Thanks.

i simplify the guess work by always using 12 pound fly line backing on all of my reels i use for trout and panfish. i dont anticipate a bluegill spooling my reel into its backing. 😁

i spool the fly line on the reel first then spool on the backing leaving a little bit of room at the spools edge

then i strip off the backing and fly line and repeat the process by spooling the backing then the fly line using appropriate knots

You are getting great advice from Niveker and Flytire. The Medalist will serve you well. I have several that are over 40 years old and they are regulars on my rods. 
Tom

12 pound test works for me.  :)

With a 7 wt fly line on a 1495 spool I wonder how much 12 pound backing it would take to fill up the spool.  Any experienced guesses cause I've got nothing to go on.

I'm asking so I know what size spool of backing to buy.  I want to have enough for that reel plus some left over.

Tom, You got that right!  The people on these forums are great at sharing their knowledge and experience.  I'm glad I found this place.

3 hours ago, niveker said:

What are the specs you're looking for - line & backing capacity, dimensions, weight?

For a 7wt line plus backing, I would suggest a 1495, not sure about the Martins.  Some complain about the 1495's being a bit heavy, but it never bothered me.  

I always put fly line on the spool first and them fill it with backing to find the right amount of both, then reverse it.  I never measure.  

2 hours ago, flytire said:

i simplify the guess work by always using 12 pound fly line backing on all of my reels i use for trout and panfish. i dont anticipate a bluegill spooling my reel into its backing. 😁

i spool the fly line on the reel first then spool on the backing leaving a little bit of room at the spools edge

then i strip off the backing and fly line and repeat the process by spooling the backing then the fly line using appropriate knots

I'm wondering how you guys are able to do the reversing without tangling the backer line. I have always estimated the amount of backing, putting it on first and then the fly line. Haven't had too much trouble that way.

Never mind.  Finally found some information on amount of backing for 7 wt line on the 1495.  Whew!  That took a while.

For 20# dacron backing it will take roughly 125 yds to fill the spool when using a WF-7-F line on a 1495.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/medalist-spool-reel-questions.902516/

I’ve  wound fly line  onto the reel  holding the spool vertically on a bodkin in an “A” vise.  Attach backing.   I use a long loop in the backing to pass the spool or reel thru.   Double or triple Larkshead loop to prevent deforming soft fly line loop. Or nailknot.   Use washer to control tension on it; duct tape?    Wind on the reel until slight clearance. Then take an empty spool and rig a bolt/washers to chuck in a drill and wind it off the reel( reel held by rod secured).  Take it outa the drill put the spool in the vise to wind it back on the reel with big loop in the backing to go over the reel arbor.    Confusing?   Point is you can  use a drill.  Sorry no photos.   😉   
Loops maybe overkill on panfish setup. Nailknots may be simpler.  Big loops in backing makes for easier line changes without cutting.  Pass spools or reels thru.  I change my clear intermediate sinker to floater on my big 12wt often.  
Too much info for you DW at this time maybe but I can see with your enthusiasm you’re in for the long haul.👍

On 3/28/2023 at 1:22 PM, Mark Knapp said:

I'm wondering how you guys are able to do the reversing without tangling the backer line.

I do it all by hand. 

Don't tie the line to the backing for the test run, coil both lines into separate buckets when stripping off the reel, go slow winding back on.    If they start to tangle, hold the reel above my head and a few shakes gets the tangle out.  Usually.  

11 hours ago, niveker said:

I do it all by hand. 

Don't tie the line to the backing for the test run, coil both lines into separate buckets when stripping off the reel, go slow winding back on.    If they start to tangle, hold the reel above my head and a few shakes gets the tangle out.  Usually.  

Make sense now, I coulda messed that up.