Fly Tying
zip

I need some advice

Hello,im pretty new to fly tying and i was wanting to know what kind of materials i really need-been using sewing thread and feathers so far.and can any one give me a begginers pattern for a fly?I usually fish in the clinch river here in east tennessee.Thx Steven

Hey dude, your best bet for just starting off in the fly tying addiction is any kind of wooly buggers, all different sizes too. They work for generally every kind of fish imaginable, and have no end in patterns or colors.

Hey Zip,

Thats kind of a circular question given I can't reccomend materials without knowing the pattern and I can't reccommend a pattern without knowing what you'll be fishing for - but there are a few patterns that work pretty much everywhere and will teach you not only how to tie them but also a few skills which can be used in other patterns.

Wooly Bugger - Materials thread, Marabou, Saddle Hackle, Chenille

Probably the most commonly taught beginner's fly with good reason all it needs is a tail of marabou, a body of chenille and a hackle feather wrapped over the chenille - should be pretty easy to find a step by step with pictures on the net. Smallmouth, Largemouth, trout, and all sorts of panfish will hit a bugger - its also very versitile in how it is fished.

Hi Steven,

Many people start with a woolly bugger which is made from marabou (color of choice probably black is most used), chenille (color of choice OR substitute with yarn), and hackle (color of choice, again black seem to be a favorite). I caught a bunch of fish this past weekend on a woolly bugger so it is effective on fish AND easy to tie. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I started tying about 5 1/2 months ago and my first fly, a wooly bugger which I named Bob and subsequently retired after I caught a bass on him. My recipe for my favorite fly to tie, the almighty wooly bugger is as follows. I love this stuff.....

I live in the North Country in New York and the bass up here LOVE the green and black ones and the trout seem to like the rootbeer colored ones.

#10 or #12 long shank streamer hook (I like a 2x or 3x shank length)

usually, I wrap a threadbase on the shank then tie in 3 small feathers (like you would use for hackle), about the length of the shank, extending out past the bend of the hook. Then, I take a piece of crystal or rainbow flash and double it on itself twice and cut it into 3 equal length pieces and tie it in even with the tailing feathers. After I do 3 wraps, I double it over so there are a total of 6 pieces of flash trailing.

Next, I tie in my cheniel and wrap it up to about 1/4 inch from the eye of the hook and then back to the tail. (make sure you leave room to tie the head and whip finish it.)

Next comes the hackle. The way I do it, I tie in the hackle at the bend, wrap it to the where the cheniel ends by the head where I then wrap a conical head and whip finish it.

Finally, add a drop of head cement and there you have a wooly bugger, after a fashion.

As far as colors go, I experiment with different combinations of hackle and cheniel, as well as with thread colors and types of flash

GOOD LUCK WITH IT!!!!! (I will try to post pictures tomorrow to coincide with a step by step)

I hope you have a look at the video in the Beginners Forum done by Al Beatty. I learned that when starting the thread on the hook, to make two wraps forwards before going back along the hook. Something that simple, I didn't know. Now I do it eveytime.

Graham

Well i usually like to try for rainbow or brown trout-they are about the most common here.Does anyone know where i can buy Marabou, Saddle Hackle, Chenille?Thx

Click on the J Stockard banner at the top of this page, they have everything you need, great service and very competitive pricing.

Graham

Aside from online sources, try a local fly shop. I have listings for 7 shops in TN (but I can't say if they're all still in business). Here's the list:

Choo-Choo Fly & Tackle

40 Frazier Ave., Chattanooga, TN 37415

(423)267-0024

Fly Shop of Tennessee

102 Willmary Road, Johnson City, TN 37601

(423)928-2007

Mahoney's

702 Sunset Drive, Johnson City, TN 37604

(423)282-5413

Fly South

1514 Demonbreum Street.,

Nashville, TN 37203

(615)251-6199

Little River Outfitters

7625 East Lamar Alexander Parkway, Townsend, TN 37882

(423)448-9459

The Creel

6907 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919

(423)588-6159

Wolf River Trading, Co.

7730 Wolf River Blvd., Suite 114,

Germantown, TN 38183

(901)754-7556

Hi Steven,

I'm in Tennessee also and my vote for a new tyer this time of the year is a wooly booger in olive and/or black.

A hares ear nymph works great also. Below is a picture of a fly ive been tying and useing with a lot of success for about 10 years now. Its a pattern I made up and not anything in particular and it's easy to tie. Tag of flat fine silver tinsel, hares ear dubbing from between the eyes of a hares maske dubbed on with the loop method. black and white barred woodduck flank as a soft hackle.

user posted image

Buggers with a strand of crystal flash in the tail size 6 to 2 olive, white, yellow, black, and tan. Are easy to tie once you get the hang of it , and browns and bows chew them up. Once you get the bugger down you might want to try a muddler or marabou muddler minnow. Big trout hit them as well. I tell you if there is anything that you need to know about fly tying here is the right place to ask! Good luck and dont get frustrated. Tying flys is not that hard, more pactience and practice!

i can tell you now im not very good at tying woolies but i can do about a perfect nymph.I also bought some nice new feathers from the local wally world-I dont know what kind they are but they look like some kind of water fowl.I'll post some pictures after i git some done with them.