Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Lead wire size conversion?

I have .015 lead wire and patterns calling for No. 1 and No. 2 lead wire.  I see lead wire being sold by the diameter.  What is No. 1 equivalent to?  What is No. 2 equivalent to?  Are there other No. sizes?

Thanks,

Dan

have you searched online? provide the patterns in question

a good rule of thumb is the lead wire diameter is approximately equal to the shank diameter

lead wire chart

HOOK SIZE
WIRE SIZE
4 AND LARGER
4 – 6
6 – 10
12 – 14
14 – 16
18 AND SMALLER

in case youre gonna ask

ultra wire diameters

Flytying: New and Old: Ultra Wire Diameters (flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com)

Flytying: New and Old: Info Charts for the Fly Tyer (flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com)

Yes, I have searched online and haven't found an answer.

I found copies of your chart posted before I asked my question and it doesn't show lead wire No. 1 is equivalent to .0xx" wire diameter, lead wire No. 2 is equivalent to .0yy" wire diameter.  When I found your chart I copied and pasted it into my reference file because it's great information and would be more universally helpful in the future.

If I can't find an answer I'll use your chart.  I like it better anyway.

Are lead wire size numbers (e.g., No. 1, No. 2, etc.) obsolete?  I assume I'll run into them some more when I look at old books with fly patterns so the conversion would be handy.

that would be way over size for fly tying

0.289 thats over 1/4 inch thick

that will never wrap around a hook shank

ScienceGuy141,

Yep, that's where I saw flytire's information before I began this thread and that's the book I'm using.

Thanks for trying.

If I don't see another answer soon I'll use .025" lead wire since I'm going to tie on a #10 hook.  That should work great!

But for the future if I see that referenced in old books I'd still like to know although it may not be consistent across manufacturers.

I'll keep hunting around and let ya know if I find anything helpfu. In the meantime, I attempted to reach out to Skip directly. We'll see if I get a response. My assumption is some company once upon a time used that numbering system which has been replaced by the actual diameter. Hopefully Skip has a more definitive answer. 

What size hook does the pattern call for?  Then work backwards from the info flytire gave.  

I always use the rule of thumb posted above.  If I need or want something thinner, I use the round handle of my bodkin to flatten the wire.  

Fly tying was never meant to be an exact science, guy.  

(sorry, couldn't help myself)

Skip Morris does say in that book to use No. 2 lead for hook sizes 14 and larger and No. 1 lead for hook sizes 16 and smaller.  He also writes about fine, medium, and thick lead wire but doesn't define his terms.  I'll just use .025" lead and not worry about it any more.

BUT if someone, like ScienceGuy141, does run across something on this I would appreciate it if they would share please.

IMHO, flytire's chart is the best solution.

Thanks.

It’s possible and I emphasize possible it could be a designation for “fuse wire” that was use long ago for weight 

fuse-wire.jpg

I agree flytire's chart solves the issue of figuring out what size wire to use. I just want to know what the No. scale is just for the sake of knowing. Sometimes its a problem that leads me down rabbit holes. 

7 hours ago, DWSmith said:

I have .015 lead wire and patterns calling for No. 1 and No. 2 lead wire.  I see lead wire being sold by the diameter.  What is No. 1 equivalent to?  What is No. 2 equivalent to?  Are there other No. sizes?

Thanks,

Dan

Don’t get wrapped around the axle about trying to match how somebody else tied a fly. Fly pattern recipes are nothing but a guide to get you started.  Trying to tie a fly exactly how somebody else tied theirs is of little concern to me.  If I happen to have everything somebody else tied a fly with then I’m not going to reinvent the wheel. If I don’t have something, I’m simply going to substitute something in its place. You should concern yourself with how fast and how deep you want YOUR fly to sink where YOUR going to fish it. Use whatever lead, hook, thread, feathers, fur…… that you have without fear of your fly not working, because it will.