Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DWSmith

Dubbing wax components?

Do you know what is used to make dubbing wax?

Do any of you make your own?

Not sure I'd make my own but I'm curious since I have access to a few types of wax.

1 minute ago, chugbug27 said:

I use ear wax from tibetan yaks 

Males?  Females?  Or does it matter?  :D

Being in Louisiana I'm surprised you don't collect ear wax from bull alligators while they're sleeping.

2 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Seriously though, most if not all waxes are a combo of rosin, bees wax and oil

I have paraffin, bees wax, and carnauba.

2 hours ago, DWSmith said:

Do you know what is used to make dubbing wax?

Do any of you make your own?

Not sure I'd make my own but I'm curious since I have access to a few types of wax.

Here area directions to make your own.

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/make-your-own-dubbing-wax

Some tiers use the wax from a toilet ring.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-Standard-Toilet-Wax-Ring-007004/100211506?

Overton's Wonder Wax is better in my opinion and so there is no reason to make your own or use a toilet ring.

I've never made my own, but basically there are two kinds generally : dubbing wax you put on your thread to help applying dubbing or to help with touch dubbing; and tying wax to help seal your thread and help it grip materials. Tying wax was conceived for silk threads, and it works best on those (but some say makes the silk lose it's translucency where the wax is applied), but still works on polyester and nylon thread. Dubbing wax is probably more for nylon and polyester threads, as tying wax on silk does work pretty well to hold dubbing.

Here's an article on making your own Overton's sub dubbing wax

https://globalflyfisher.com/tie-better/make-your-own-dubbing-wax

Here's one for Keene's style tying wax

https://www.speypages.com/threads/wax-making.165201/

Go for it... (You can also buy them easily enough)

I've heard you can also use cross country ski wax as an excellent dubbing wax, but have not tried it myself. One dubbing wax tube of any sort will pretty much last you forever.

Ah, flytire too! The 721 in his posted article is the Keene's style I mentioned. Let us know what you do (and whether it catches fire on you)

Silver Creek  and chugbug were quicker on the trigger than I was.  When Overton's became scarce  I used the recipe on the Global Fly Fisher for making it from a wax toilet ring.  I still have a life time's supply of dubbing wax.  I never tried cross-country ski wax, mine didn't need to be waxed.  Since Overton's is now available just pick up a container of it.

Earlier I found the directions that others are posting and thought there might be something better someone here would recommend.

I don't like the idea of using olive oil because it will go rancid but in the comments someone said they were going to try mineral oil instead.  Seems like a much better choice than olive oil.  I know woodworkers make their own paste wax with beeswax and turpentine.  Less turpentine than for paste wax might be satisfactory.

I have no idea what refined beeswax is.  I have plenty of beeswax I've taken from my little girls' (worker bees) hives, melted it, and filtered it through paper coffee filters.  That should be as 'refined' as needed for dubbing wax but can't be certain.

I found two cakes of cello rosin (my wife and son used to play) that I can use.

Seems like more trouble than it's worth but I have the ingredients and the time so I might play with it sometime.

Thanks for the replies guys!