Fly Tying
flyflinger

Rotary Vise Decision

I'm an experienced long-time fly tyer, and am going to purchase a new (true) rotary vise.  Over the years I have used many vises:  Thompson, Regal, Dyna-King, HMH, Renzetti, others.  The only rotary models I've used are the original Renzetti Traveler, and the old discontinued HMH (forgot the model name, but it didn't have an in-line axis adjustment).  I don't consider the Regal a true rotary because it too is missing the in-line axis adjustment.      

I mostly tie sizes 24 up to 10, with occasional salt water sizes.  In my experience, most vises handle large hooks well, but small/tiny hooks require excellent jaw engineering (strong hold without stressing the hook steel).  My choices seem narrowed to the Renzetti Master, the Dyna-King Excaliber (if it still has the adjustable hinge stem) , and the HMH TRV.  I would love to hear from forum members who can share the pros and cons of these vises (and others?)    

Regards,  

I tie on a nor-vise and my dyna-king pro, 90% of the time is on the nor-vise. I do have the fine jaws in addition to the standard and tube fly jaws. the issue I had with the dyna-king rotary is the unbalanced spin never tied on a renzetti but tried regal with the same issue. trv is not for me I am a southpaw

I too tie on a Nor-vise. I have had mine since 1991, and wont part with it.  I have had many other vises, but once I got my Nor-vise, I never looked back.  I have the fine point, standard, and Saltwater jaws.  All the jaws rotate inline.

Thank you for the response.  I've watched demos of the Nor-Vise for years at various fly fishing trade shows.  My concern has always been the blunt jaws which aren't optimum for small hooks (I tie a lot of size 22 flies) - it appears they now have a sharper fine point jaw? - I'll look at that . . . and the lack of offset to allow in-line axis alignment.  Doesn't the hook shank offset "wobble" bother you?  

Regards, 

I indeed found the fine-point jaws with the offset axis-adjustment for the Nor-Vise.  Very interesting!  

Now the decision is even more complicated!   🤪

Regards,  

I have 3 vises...The TRV, the Renzetti Master and the Cottarelli T-Rex. They are all excellent as you would expect from a top of the line vise.
Easily the most versatile is the Renzetti. As they say in their promotions, anything from a size 28 through 10/0. I know from experience that is true.
The TRV size limitation of small through 2/0 is the only reason it may not be #1 for some folks.

Good Luck,
George

I indeed found the fine-point jaws with the offset axis-adjustment for the Nor-Vise.  Very interesting!  

Regards,  

George, 

Thank you for the response. The 2/0 limitation on the HMH TRV doesn't at all concern me.  I have other vises if I need to (rarely) go to heavy hooks.  I'm not familiar with the Cottarelli T-Rex, but will check it out . . . 

Regards,

The T-Rex (I have the "T-Rex Kit" version) is an Italian made vise. It is rather specialized, but interesting. I ordered it directly from 54 Dean Street in Italy and had it in hand in 3 days!! Nice folks too...

No wobble on the nor-vise at all (hubs prevent it), it spins like a lathe that was my attraction to it. Norm gave me a money back guarantee if I didn't like it (over 20 years ago) I would never trade it. The only issue I had was a bearing replacement after some light ribbing wire got behind the hub (my fault vise worked fine but had an annoying ticking) Norm mailed me a set to replace it. After Norm passed the company was bought out the current owners are just as reputable and added other accessories. 

Regards,  

You really can't go wrong with any of the top of the line in vises.  It's really a matter of preference.  I have an HMH TRV and there is a 25 page review on this forum page that will tell you everything you need to know about the TRV.  I would imagine that Colorado has some pretty large fly shops?  My advise would be to get to one that stocks a large amount of vises and handle them or even try them out.  Then you can make a decision based on what you like.

cphubert, 

I've enjoyed many conversations with Norm at trade shows over the years.  We were kind of kindred spirits - both of us were engineers and loved fly tying.  I once tried to talk him into creating something like the current fine point jaws that adjusted to align vice with the axis of the hook . . . and apparently his successors did build it.  As I mentioned, being an engineer, I like to see that hook shank aligned perfectly with the axis of rotation on the vice (including size 22-24 hooks).  Norm always thought the original design was simple/straight-forward and required no adjustment.  He was a fine man!      

Regards,

5 hours ago, flyflinger said:

He was a fine man

Yes a straight shooter, the vise can take a little time to get used to (more the bobbin it will suck the thread in when it breaks and when you cut it, takes a little time to get used to holding a little pressure on the spool to prevent that).Long ago I had tied on an old universal rotary and liked it when I saw the nor-vise it was intriguing, but I was skeptical and happy with the dyna-king pro. I missed the rotary disliked the dyna-king and regal rotary of that time they were lopsided in rotation causing a unbalance. I am a southpaw some vises are not friendly to left-handed tiers Norm was a good salesman (demoed the vise left-handed) and engineer, completely believed in his product, and stood behind everything he said and sold. The fine point jaws, saltwater jaws, and tube fly adaptor where all his design and manufacture when I bought the tube fly adaptor, he improved it a little later and upgraded my kit at a show no charge(mandrels). I was saddened to learn of his terminal illness and passing, happy he finished the small boat he was building and time he spent fishing with his grandchildren. Tim O'Neill is a good man also very pleased he took over the brand kept the quality, US manufacture and developing accessories Norm would approve of.

I also tie smaller trout flies and well as larger saltwater, bass and muskie patterns.  Check out a "Stonfo Transformer" vise. It's a true rotary and features interchangeable heads allow you to easily change over to tie midges and switch to larger patterns using a different head.  I've tied on one for about ten years and would not trade it for any other vise.  Good luck.

https://stonfo.com/en/p/transformer-vise/index.html