Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
eastbayed278@gmail.com

Looking for Micro Streamers

I really enjoy trout and steelhead fishing and having been tying flies for more that 60 years.  I can tie most anything, but like to keep materials to 4 or 5 and tying time to 15 minutes or less.  My fly boxes are full and many of the patterns I tie catch fish, and many of the flies I tie decorate rocks and branches in rivers and others hang from trees along the rivers.  I've never really spent much times fishing streamers and have decided I'd like to try fishing with streamers.  I usually use a 4 or 5 weight and I've been reading about micro streamers.  This intrigues me.  Any suggestions for micro streamer patterns that are fun ties.

Thank you for any suggestions,    

East Bay Ed

Welcome to the site, EBE. 

Sometime I just want to swing or dead drift small streamers, letting the current do most of the work for me.  Its a very relaxing way to fish. 

I think any streamer pattern can be downsized into a micro streamer, maybe changing material to suit the smaller pattern, as I'm sure you know since you've been tying so long.  

For patterns, I have good luck with tiny buggers, olive and black.  I also like to tie and fish traditional winged wet flies as streamers.  One of my favorites is the Royal Coachman.  A McGinty does surprisingly well sometimes.  Others that some to mind: Black Ghost, Mickey Fin, Blacknose Dace, Gartside's Sparrow, Picket Pin.

I'm obviously a fan of the older fly patterns.  In fly tying, eventually everything old is new again, especially if all of one's knowledge comes from the tube, but I digress.  

+1 on just downsizing streamers to micro streamers

too many to choose from and list

be creative, experiment

20230619_205145.jpg

These are pretty micro and cast well even on my 3wt...basically a mini Slumpbuster...they have caught several species fish in Texas, Florida, Colorado, and now Oregon

Hook: Any size or style you want...I've even tied them on sz 8 baitholder hooks and Eagle Claw gold aberdeens (GASP!!:o)...sz 6 salmon fly hooks used here

Head: 1/4" or 6 mm conehead or bead, color of your choice...brass conehead used here

Thread: White 6/0 Danville or similar

Rib: Oval silver tinsel, wire, or thread...the rib is necessary for the wing...oval silver tinsel used here

Body: White or silver dubbing...white UV ice dub used here

Tail/Matuka wing: Micro pine squirrel, any color, lashed Matuka style with rib material...olive used here

Collar: Micro pine squirrel wrapped like a hackle...I apply super glue under the collar...about 4 tight and carefully placed wraps to avoid bulk...stroke the fibers back with every wrap like you do with a wet hackle

Tie off behind the cone with as few wraps as possible with super glue coating the thread and only 2 half hitches to avoid laying the collar back too much.

I also put super glue inside the back of the cone and "cram" the cone backwards and the collar forward as to minimize the gap behind the cone.

Hope this is as clear as mud...these are micro, fun and fairly easy to tie, and have 4 materials...I think that fit your request...

Variations:

burnt orange or brown with 2 tails and orange teased out dubbing makes a micro craw...

black or purple with an orange/pink cone or bead makes a micro egg sucking leach

grey or white with silver cone or bead makes a good baitfish, glue on eyes go good here too

If you have some grizzly dry fly hackles you can tie them in along the sides of the body for a barred effect

A couple of strands of flash never hurts

This pattern alone with all the variations should keep you busy for a minute and your bug box full!

Cheers!

I like that last post - and tie up something similar - but for the salt... Pretty sure either of these two bugs could be downsized- all the way down to suit your needs... 

hnSDgGF.jpg

Called Swamp food this one is in size 1/0... most of my stuff gets a weedguard since we're fishing the jungle shorelines of the Everglades... 

4SSXs4c.jpg

My version of Norm's Crystal Schminnow.. for the salt -it's pretty small - this one is done up in size #4 - but we've had success in my area with baby tarpon and snook in sizes down to a #6  - simple to see that it's basically a wooly bugger format, mostly... I used to do them for fly shops by the dozens in various color combinations and sizes... 

A post on another site reminded me of mini-muddler minnows, another effective, scaled down streamer.