Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Capt Bob LeMay

Mustad hooks for saltwater flies

A guy over on the Florida Sportsman forum asked a question about Mustad hooks and here's what I wrote... Since that forum is disappearing in a few weeks I figure that some might want to read it... before it's gone forever...

What's the difference between these two hooks?   Is one preferred for fly tying?

I have some of both but which would you use? Also, some of the 34007 have a SS designation and some don't. What's that about?

Thanks!   Inquiring minds want to know.  I did a search on here but couldn't find anything. 

Flag  Quote ·  Agree  Like  Vote Up  Awesome  LOL · Share on FacebookShare on Twitter

Replies

• lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,920 Captain
    6:47AM #2
    Here's the deal...
    Mustad 3407 - cadmium plated steel, a bit stronger than the stainless steel 34007 - but will need sharpening before use - not generally used by folks who tie flies for shops - the way I did for many years...

Mustad 3407SS, just like the 3407 but twice as strong and twice as heavy.. I still use them occasionally for things like shark flies - they'll need some serious sharpening... before tossing them at a fish... A very old-fashioned hook - but at one time your best bet for a really strong hook (long before the oriental super hooks came along...).

Mustad 34007, very similar to the 3407 - but done up in stainless and they'll need a bit of sharpening as well.... pretty much one of the standard hooks used for saltwater flies if you're not needing something for tarpon or other big fish with armored jaws. Most standard bonefish flies will be tied up on a #4 34007 hook, most backcountry flies will be tied up on a 1/0 or 2/0 34007. For many years I bought them by the thousand per size as a commercial tyer. I had to quit tying commercially a few years back but still have a substantial supply of them in every size. This not the hook, though, for big tarpon, sharks, grouper, or bluewater fish - for those you'll be wanting something much stronger - for me, that's an Owner Aki hook (one of several really good super premium hooks available these days). Any fly shop that caters to the saltwater crowd will be able to point you in the right direction...

Hope this helps -even knowing that this forum will cease to exist a few weeks from now...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666

I've never really used Mustad hooks.  When I first started tying Mustad hooks usually had to be sharpened.  They weren't sharp right out of the box.  By the time I started tying salt water flies,  I settled on using Varivas hooks for bait fish patterns.  I really don't remember the model numbers.  They came in short and long shank.  I still have a few left.  I've also used Tiemco hooks.  I also used the Partridge Ad Swier Pike hook for larger patterns.

1572857189_baitfish1.jpg.5fa49243c7c4e8248d11a908f7dbb72d.jpg

002_3.jpg.78b92bc2448a45e906f8e252f51bd5cb.jpg

Since I'm prejudiced against Mustad hooks.  I would not use any of them.  To me it's worth spending extra $ for hooks I have confidence in.

Capt Bob.  I’d be interested in your opinion/feedback on the updated version of the Mustad heritage C68S tarpon hook.  This hook and the longer shank C70S are very affordable when compared to the competition.  I’m fishing striped bass on 7, 8 and 9 weights so the hooks just need to be sharp out of the box and I prefer a small barb for the first couple of fish then no barb.  Most of my tying this season has been either on these hooks or the premium line of Ahrex hooks at more than twice the cost of the Mustads.  Like Philly, I’ve never been a big fan of the 34007 except maybe for tying and fishing the clouser.    I recall thirty years ago having two round chain saw files taped together on the boat to sharpen or touch up the 34007s and the EC254 hooks. I think that was a Lefty tip.

thanks

Must admit... I've never used those (relatively) new hooks at all... Instead, I've been buying my usual Mustad 34007 hooks - by the thousand per size and although I'm no longer tying flies commercially... I have enough hooks in hand to last for years ahead (if I'm still around...).  For tarpon hooks, i'm using the Owner Aki (and once again since I was buying them by the `1000 per size.. I still have a bunch of them, from 1/0 up to 4/0...).  I also use the Tiemco 600sp - but  only have few of them left, as well as a  very old hook - the Mustad 7766 in sizes for small to medium tarpon.  Yes, I know, every Mustad needs to be sharpened -and I have a few of the Nicholson Mill Bastard four inch files still in hand (used to buy them by the half dozen at a time..).

There is a new hook I've been experimenting a bit with as well... although I've yet to see any in catalogs or in shops... It's the Owner Aki light, and I"m starting to generate a few bugs with them - mostly for smaller tarpon up to around 20lbs... Enter Owner Aki light on E-Bay to find them  - so far...  but only in tiny quantities... .

Interesting the different experiences out there. I use mustads almost exclusively. The only time I won’t use mustads is when I go to the shop and they don’t have mustads and I have to buy something else. I have never sharpened a hook, any hook,  in my life and I will only buy wiz bang hooks when I absolutely have no other choice and then I’m only buying the minimum I can get away with. I have never ever not hooked or lost a fish because I believed the the hook was not sharp enough. I use the 34007 for big striped bass without ever having a problem. I don’t fish for tarpon so I have no experience there but for striped bass a mustad 34007 hook is the perfect choice. If mustad makes a hook specifically for tarpon then I would have no fears fishing it for tarpon untouched out of the box.

I just pulled a 3/0 34007 out of the package and checked the hook point since I don’t think I ever checked a hook point before. Seems plenty sharp to me. Sharp enough to where I’m sure I would only dull it in an attempt to sharpen it.