Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vicrider

Hard to admit decision

I will be selling my handguns and am going to get a wheel gun this time around. Not sure what yet but right now I have a Bersa Concealed Carry, and a  Ruger LCP in .380 with lots ammo with them. I also have a Sig Sauer 226 in .357 Sig. In going through the other day and planning to go to the range I realized thanks to a poor sedentary lifestyle and the arthritis trending in my left hand and especially my thumb I have a hard time with the initial jacking of the slide. The Sig is especially hard for me to grip and pull.

Right now I have a "Jack of Hearts" North Amerian Arms revolver (classified derringer) in .22 Mag and have been looking at the Kel-Tec PMR30 .22 Mag handgun. One of the features talked about was the ease of the slide for a woman and most women have stronger hands than me right now. This might be an option vs. a .38 Special S&W or lightweight .357 to shoot .38 for the most part. I did get a squeezy deal for my hands but the arthritis in the left thumb is the thing that is not going to go away or get better for me.

I happen to like revolvers and pistols alike.  I also happen to largely not carry a gun but sometimes do on rare occasion. Not sure what the intended purpose is but I can only imagine it’s for self defense. Myself, when I make the decision to carry a gun for self defense then I’m carrying a capable gun chambered in a caliber better suited for its intended purpose. A 22 mag is simply not enough of a defensive round for me to want to carry in any platform.  If the best I can say is it’s better than nothing, then there’s many better choices. Can I get lucky with it, yep sure can but Im not carrying a gun just to rely on luck. I would put the Jack of hearts 22 mag on the sell list with the Bersa and the Ruger as well. A nice enclosed hammer .38+P would be my choice over everything mentioned. 

The Kel-tec is an intriguing gun but it’s still only a .22 mag. I also understand circumstances. If it’s about the only thing you think you can safely manipulate then it’s a good choice for you. Since you can still operate a revolver, I would think a larger caliber revolver is far superior to anything chambered in 22 mag if its purpose is self defense. As a range  plinker the Kel-Tec would be a fun choice. 

I seem have been losing wrist strength and agility over time, for years my choice for carry was a combat commander or my 686 (.357). I recently picked up a M&P EZ 9mm and a LCR (.357 with crimson trace grips) I am happy with both choices but not willing to get rid of my trusted familiars or at least not until I develop the proficiency with the new acquisitions. always liked my revolvers in 357 with the ability to use 38 or 38+p. The LCR is light to carry but can be punishing in 357 for long shooting periods very acceptable with the 38 for practice.

CP

How do you like the M&P EZ 9mm?  Are the slide and magazine as easy to use as they advertise?  Wish they had a larger mag.

Thanks, Bob H

Nick have you looked into maybe some of the charging handles that they sell now a days to see if maybe that would help? They make them for any of the big brands now, Glock/Sig etc etc...

Might be something to check into and might make it easier for ya with your current semi-autos

https://www.glockstore.com/Slide-Pull-Charging-Handle

18 hours ago, BobHRAH said:

do you like the M&P EZ 9mm?  Are the slide and magazine as easy to use as they advertise

Bob, I do like it, it is easier to rack the slide and the slide has a distinct flare on the back for positive grip. mags are easy to load with the exposed plunger tab, additionally I am left hand dominant, and it really is an ambidextrous platform out of the box. As far as the capacity I am good with the 8 rounds, most of my life with the exception of the M9 I have had 7 rounds or six with the revolvers (5 now with the LCR) pray I will never have to use force and try to limit my exposure to situations. If I was a LEO or still military with a high-risk exposure 15,17, or 19 rounds at short range never felt like enough.

Wishing you the best in finding a comfortable new wheelgun option. Maybe also check out some arthritis-friendly shooting gloves or grips as well to help ease shooting. Take care of your hands!