Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

NW WI river on August 3

My wife and I floated a section of river with Stu Neville, owner of Hayward Fly Fishing Company on Wednesday. Stu is a terrific person, who also has exceptional skills and a great understanding of fly fishing. Water is low and clear and getting warm. Throughout the day we saw lots of wildlife, including deer, turkeys, sturgeon, Muskies, and more. We used three flies all day. When you can cast into wood all day and not lose a fly you did well. They were Murdich Wiggler, Linden Hills Special, and Tequeely. Action throughout the 93 degree day. I am finding out that as I age, I need to hydrate more aggressively. A couple of pictures from the river. 
IMG_1688.jpegIMG_1693.jpegIMG_1703.jpegIMG_1704.jpeg
I am fortunate to be able to post some nice fish on my trips, but I also catch fish like:

IMG_6365.jpegIMG_6366.jpeg

Beautiful river, the pics of it remind me of the Au Sable here. Nice smallie too.

Fishing in 90f temps is rough that's for sure. I use to do it during the summer as well, but found now even at my age (51) it can really take the energy out of ya if you stay out too long in those temps.

Beautiful pictures, that’s an awesome smallie. I’ve just gotten serious about smallmouth on a fly rod, there’s a decent river about 2 miles from my house that seems to have a good population of them, great fun!

Mike.

Partsman,

I really got the stream smallmouth bug over 20 years ago when I turned 50+. My knees started to restrict walking on trout streams and I started floating NW Wisconsin streams with Larry and Wendy. Fishing for smallmouth make for a great day.