Fly Tying

Tying in the recliner

My wife wouldn't allow it either.  She says it would junk up the living room and apologies to Byron for the oversite.

Byron you got woodworking mojo, great setup, nice looking table, and efficient and functional 

19 hours ago, 358 said:

My wife wouldn't allow it either.  She says it would junk up the living room and apologies to Byron for the oversite.

I don't think my wife loved mine either, but I had already built her a jigsaw puzzle table, so she couldn't really refuse... 😄 

Screenshot_20230817_094552_Facebook.jpg

12 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Byron you got woodworking mojo, great setup, nice looking table, and efficient and functional 

Thanks Chugbug! I'm still tying on that desk, although I don't have the recliner anymore. I like it, but I didn't think the storage compartments all the way through. The tops make a great place to put extraneous items while tying, but then I'm forever having to clear one of them off so I can open the top to get new materials out. Now that I have a dedicated tying space in my home office, I'm planning on making a larger "floating" desk....one of these days. :)

26 minutes ago, Bryon Anderson said:

I had already built her a jigsaw puzzle table, so she couldn't really refuse...

Smooth move there.  

57 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Floating desk?

"floating" as in anchored only to wall studs; exterior carcase supported by an invisible interior bracket. Something along these lines, but customized for fly tying. 

The design in my head would swap out those two deep drawers for 2-3 shallower drawers per slide...built-in tool organizer and areas for material prep/staging, etc. We'll see what actually gets built though... :)

floating desk.jpg

I tie mine down stairs in my fly tying room (Hobby Room) is and have a book on tape or music on

I looked up the Mayflier vise, got a post from 2016 in Classic Fly Rod Forum.  (misspelled as Mayflyer.)  At any rate, it's the same vise or appears to be. Got a lanyard to tie it around your neck.  The accompanying photo shows a smallish vise of indeterminate size jaw with a curvey stem for some reason.  The photos of the Mayflier on this forum makes it a very expensive vise.  Especially with the bronze base. 

That actually, without seeing details, looks to be a fairly good quality vise for the money, bronze base, etc . . . and made in the USA!  

Regards,

1 hour ago, flyflinger said:

That actually, without seeing details, looks to be a fairly good quality vise for the money, bronze base, etc . . . and made in the USA!  

Agreed.

I believe that seller on the auction site is the guy who invented the vise. 

Wonder how many he's got in stock.