Fly Tying
Cng

Hello from KY

Hi, all.

I am a new tyer from Lexington, Kentucky. I've been tying since about the spring of the year, and I've been lurking on the forum for about as long. I finally decided to create an account and introduce myself.

I'd say I'm in what you might call the experimental tying stage. I haven't been methodical or really tried to perfect any one pattern. I started tying Wooly Buggers from a kit and then completely ignored the sound advise to tie one pattern at a time, opting instead to spend as much money as I could get away with on as many different hooks and materials as possible before my wife caught on. I wasted a lot of money and material, but I did manage to catch a few rainbows in the Smokies this summer on flies that I tied myself. That was pretty cool.

I don't get to trout fish all that often, and my real love is small stream smallmouth, so I am learning to tie some bigger streamer patterns for the smallies. I've been playing with the Game Changer platform, just tying mini changers on homemade shanks and old hooks for practice, and I'm really liking the Jerk Changer. I've only caught a couple of smallies on my own flies, but it was a blast.

I am an avid deer, turkey, and squirrel hunter, so I hope to put up a bucktail or two, some squirrel tails, and a turkey skin this fall so I have plenty of materials to play with over the winter. I plan to hit the smallmouth hard next year!

Thanks so much for all of the valuable advice and information on this forum!

Cng 

Welcome to the site!  People freely share information and positive advice. There are many of us, who actively pursue smallies. Post as you feel comfortable. There are many tiers, who can shorten your learning curve. It sounds like you have already learned that tying your own can be fiscally draining and very rewarding when you catch fish on them. 
Tom

Cng, welcome to the forum I hope you enjoy tying and fishing along with members of our community. Hopeful you will contribute to the group, it helps all of us develop.

Wecome to the active side of the site, Cng.  

Sounds like you're already enjoying the hobby: tying and collecting materials.  I started off similarly to you.  When I was looking to get into tying, I came across a large box of tying  materials and tools for pretty cheap, so I went hog wild tying flies for a little while.  After a bit I settled down and approached the vise a bit more systematically.    Its a hobby for me, so I make sure its enjoyable no matter what others may say.

What was the first fly you tied that caught a fish?  I can't remember what mine was at this point.  I wish now I had kept it, whatever it was. 

Looking forward to seeing some of your ties when you're ready to post them.       

Thanks for the welcomes, and thanks again for sharing your knowledge and experience. I look forward to learning as much as I can. 

2 hours ago, niveker said:

What was the first fly you tied that caught a fish?  I can't remember what mine was at this point.  I wish now I had kept it, whatever it was. 

Mine was a Crackleback! Or, more like a Crackleback variant, since the hackle was probably three times too long. I caught two rainbows on the Cumberland tail waters. One of them was a very nice fish. I think I got tangled up and lost the fly on that same trip.

The next one was a tiny little rainbow right beside our campsite on Hazel Creek in the Smokies. I caught it on an ugly soft hackle wet fly with a yellow thread body. I lost that one and many others to the trees and brush. I caught my best fish on that trip on a large Stimulator that I feel looked almost legit, haha. 

👍

1 hour ago, Cng said:

a Crackleback variant, since the hackle was probably three times too long

Good to remember that sometimes the fish use different criteria to judge a fly than we do.  Sounds like a tail-less wooly worm, I would keep a few of those 'variants' in my box.  

Welcome aboard. Since you have been lurking for a while now you probably already know, but it's a real good group of guys here that are very helpful with anything you may like to know. So just right in and enjoy the site.

Steve

Welcome to the site!  I've been tying for over 50 years now and hosting fly swaps for 13+ years now.  I've got a nice non-trout swap theme open right now - The Kermit Swap - frog patterns!  Check out the "Swaps and Contests" section of this site

My swaps are open to all level/experience tyers and for newer tyers I can help suggest a few patterns that you'd like to tie, a list of tips/tricks on how to tie with your pattern choice, and provide feedback to help you to improve your tying.  Also, all swappers get a fly tying tying gift from me as well.  Since you have been tying for less than a year ANY swaps on this site are hosted by fine and experienced hosts that could help you develop into a better tyer in the future.

If you have any questions on how simple swaps are to join in just let me know - I'll be happy to answer any questions/concerns that you might have.

Again, welcome to the site.  You'll find it is loaded with many fine tyers, fishers, rod builders and teachers.  Lastly, have fun!

Kim