Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Question on dubbing

This thought came to me and I thought I'd throw it out there to the pros.  I dub materials counter clockwise in my thumb. The thread at this stage is probably twisted counterclockwise as well off the vise.  I wonder if it makes much of a difference when twisting on dubbing since it seems like it could be overtwisting the thread making it more difficult to twist dubbing on the already-twisted a thread. 

This is a purely academic question because it's 98 degrees out there with humidity at 96 as well. If I'm not making sense, I blame the heat/humidity.

I'm no expert, but I don't think my dubbing being twisted one way or another will effect the thread twist... Usually my bobbin is in hand, so the thread twist isn't going anywhere. But, if you twist it one way, the dubbing will loosen as you wrap, and if you twist it the other it will tighten as you wrap. For a right hander using your right hand to dub, moving your thumb to finger tip to apply dubbing to the thread  (or twisting your dubbing loop tool that way) will give you tight dubbing; and moving your thumb from fingertip down will loosen your dubbing as you wrap the dubbing noodle around the hook.

17 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I'm no expert, but I don't think my dubbing being twisted one way or another will effect the thread twist... Usually my bobbin is in hand, so the thread twist isn't going anywhere. But, if you twist it one way, the dubbing will loosen as you wrap, and if you twist it the other it will tighten as you wrap. For a right hander using your right hand to dub, moving your thumb to finger tip to apply dubbing to the thread  (or twisting your dubbing loop tool that way) will give you tight dubbing; and moving your thumb from fingertip down will loosen your dubbing as you wrap the dubbing noodle around the hook.

I am assuming that a right handed tier wraps the thread by going up over and the hook. Pull the tying thread towards you and look down the length of the thread to the hook. With the thread in that position:

If you dub counter clockwise, the dubbing will get tighter as you wind the dubbing on the hook.

If you dub clockwise, the dubbing will get looser as you wind the dubbing on the hook.

For you beginners, try dubbing both ways to see what I mean.

Agree with @chugbug27.  The two contact points of the thread (at spool and hook shank), will pretty much limit any thread twist.  

Try as I might, the memory of those little finger muscles always want to go clockwise, as described by @Silvercreek above, so I have to continue tightening the dubbing as I wind it on.

I'm never tying for speed, so its no big deal for me. 

For right handed tiers, Counter clockwise the bobbin in your right hand and pointed straight at the fly using your left thumb and forefinger to twist the dubbing.  Twisting the dubbing this way requires no wax.  I have not owned or used any wax in decades.  Sorry to those of you that like it but I hate the stuff. even for slippery stuff like coarse synthetics and in the old days natural seal fur.  The trick is to roll the dubbing with forefinger under the thread using a very light touch, then hold down with your thumb, then repeat.  Make sure you roll just the material around the thread, do not squeeze down, twist both or thread breaks and technique won't work.  Once you get good at this, it is very fast and easy to pull down material to stretch out the noodle and control the diameter and length.

What I meant is the twist you get every turn of thread over the hook.  It introduces twist in the thread which will tend to remove the twist by unwinding: turning the bobbin the opposite way when you hang the bobbin.  I withdraw the question.