Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Fly fishing the deep sea. (again)

From the 22nd of August till the 31st my friend Rick and I hosted my Lake Havasu guide and his wife to some fishing NW of Sitka. Rick and I were able to fish for 8 of the 9 days with all fly gear while our guests fished with conventional gear. We caught lots of fish. We gave about seventy pounds of frozen, vacuum packed fillets to the food bank. Thirty five pounds went home with D.A. and his wife. and we brought home about 180 pounds of ling cod, rock fish and halibut.

20230824_155502.jpg

Me with the first days catch, all with fly rod. That's the second biggest ling cod I've ever caught on a fly. Four lings and the rest are black rock fish.

20230825_063739.jpg

These are all over.

20230825_064131.jpg

Again.

20230827_173614.jpg

D.A. with a days catch, mostly on fly rod but some on conventional.

20230831_182455.jpg

One of our dinners, fish tacos.

20230902_002552.jpg

These are going home with us, frozen, vacuum packed fillets.

5 hours ago, DFoster said:

Wow Mark that looks like fun!

It is, three or four trips a year down there, twelve years. It's starting to be a habit. I like it very much. Thanks.

On 9/8/2023 at 5:21 AM, Steeldrifter said:

That looks like a great time. That ling cod looks huge. How come the small boat is moored so far off shore, is that to keep bears and other critters away from it?

The boat is on pullies. We pull it in when we need to use it so that it doesn't dry up when the tide goes out.