Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ragtym

We used to be a nation of marksmen

We used to be a nation of marksmen and now we’ve become a nation of volume fire. In the battle field that certainly has its place, but anywhere else it’s just a lot of noise. I’m an 86 year old veteran. I’m still helping my fellow veterans at the Phoenix Veterans Hospital every Monday,Wednesday and Friday. 
My hunting rifle is a 1913A3 Springfield 30,06. I usually use a crossbow since I’m so old AZG&F took pity on me. My only handgun is a.22 cal Browning bull barrel target pistol. 
I go to the Ben Avery range with my rifle and ammo box and I tell the range guys that I have ammunition older than they are. Remember silver tips?

Thanks Ragtym 

Ragtym welcome to the site. I have a 1903A3 also and enjoy shooting it at the range it is not my primary hunting rifle, but it is a capable backup.  Agree with you in regard to marksmanship and it would not matter what platform you are shooting. You would find the AR platform much easier on your shoulder and wallet at the end of the day, although you must have a stockpile if your still shooting silver tips. My primary hunting rifles are chambered in 30-06 and 300 savage, enough rifle for anything in North America. Hope you enjoy the fly tying side of the forum also.

Welcome Ragtym. 270 for me. If it was good enough for Jack O'Connor.... Backup is a 6.5 Creedmore. I'm vacillating between a 300 Win Mag and a 300 WSM. Decisions, decisions.  I remember silver tips.

I think the reason for so many marksmen in the past was the abundance of country boys that began by shooting tin cans then by hunting squirrels, rabbits, etc. with single shot .22 rifles. Of course starting out with a BB gun in town in the backyard certainly helped me.  I toted that thing everywhere.  After I turned 12 I got a Remington semi-auto for Christmas.  Still have it 57 years later.

I remember my younger brother in his early 20's going squirrel hunting with me.  Pow, pow, pow, ... pow, pow.  He'd come back with 1 squirrel.  I'd come back with 4 squirrels after firing 4 times with that Remington.

Welcome Ragtym!  I used to live in Scottsdale and my boys and I went to Ben Avery also.  Fantastic shooting facility but their safety and gun discipline was mediocre.   We witnessed things that made me grab the boys and head to the car.  We joined Phoenix Rod & Gun Club and loved that facility!  I'm still a member there.  I'm back in North Carolina now but my oldest son is still out there.  I belong to a club here in NC.

You are correct about the marksmanship.  Guns are hated by many, especially in education so there's no appetite nor adults to teach the youngsters to learn to shoot.  Remember when we could take a hunting rifle with ammo onto a plane and store it in the closet by the door?  Yeah, those days are gone. 

Both of my boys shoot and shoot well.  I started them early, around 7.  I'm working with a close friend and his two boys now.  He asked me to teach him and the boys.  They absolutely love it.  What I really need to do is get NRA certified in Rifle and Pistol instruction going in to retirement.  It'll give me something to do.

On 9/29/2023 at 9:47 AM, Sandan said:

Welcome Ragtym. 270 for me. If it was good enough for Jack O'Connor.... Backup is a 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm vacillating between a 300 Win Mag and a 300 WSM. Decisions, decisions.  I remember silver tips.

If it's for Elk, the 300 Weatherby trumps the 300 Win Mag.  Or if you're into the modern cartridges, and heavy-for-caliber bullets, 300 PRC . . . those critters can absorb a lot of terminal energy and keep right on truckin' !   

Regards,

On 4/21/2024 at 5:16 AM, flyflinger said:

If it's for Elk, the 300 Weatherby trumps the 300 Win Mag.  Or if you're into the modern cartridges, and heavy-for-caliber bullets, 300 PRC . . . those critters can absorb a lot of terminal energy and keep right on truckin' !   

Regards,

That sure can. So far my .270 shooting 150 gr. Nosler partitions have done the job for me. I'm thinking about a .300 PRC or going back to an '06