Fly Tying
flytire

October Flies From the Vise

3 hours ago, MZilliox said:

20230911_215253.jpg

Welcome.  Very nice ties.  Love those muddlers, I'm not a fan of the tightly packed heads you mostly see these days.  👍

Those Muddlers will draw lots of bites in the backcountry as well.  Very nicely done - reminds me that I need to do a few maribou muddlers for baby tarpon…

Hi, folks! New to this forum, but not to tying. I like tying almost all kinds of flies, but over the years I've probably put more effort into classic wet flies than with any other genre. Here's my first contribution, a freelance pattern I call the Gobbler. It's an homage to my favorite gamebird, the Eastern wild turkey.

Hook: Mustad 3399, size 6

Tail: Wild turkey tail

Body: Copper tinsel

Rib: Brown silk floss

Wing: Married strips of oak turkey secondary, blue turkey tail and red turkey tail

Throat: Black hen

Head: Red nail polish

GOBBLER-1.jpg

On 10/19/2023 at 8:31 AM, MZilliox said:

Cut for brevity. Very nice ties. Welcome to the site and you'll find as much knowledge here regarding tying as you do "there" regarding cane.

17 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Those Muddlers will draw lots of bites in the backcountry as well.  Very nicely done - reminds me that I need to do a few maribou muddlers for baby tarpon…

They have risen 4 steelhead in 2 sessions, now if I can get that hook to stick!  My hookup rates on these leave a bit, but that's ok.  It's so fun to see chaos boils under the fly

Mr McCoy that is nothing short of awesome. The skies have parted. Thanks for joining in and posting.

8 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Mr McCoy that is nothing short of awesome. The skies have parted. Thanks for joining in and posting.

Thank you, sir!