Fly Tying
LisaLou

Hackle flash question

Hi, online I see a product that is called hackle flash.  I have a large collection of yarn, including a lot of novelty eyelash yarn.  What I have is made out of polyester.  I was wondering if anyone knows the novelty yarn I am talking about and if it is a suitable substitute for hackle flash.  I don’t have any of the real stuff to compare it to and thought maybe someone else did.

thanks for any input and happy holidays, LisaLou

IMG_5009.jpeg

IMG_5005.jpeg

I am not familiar with eyelash yarn or hackle flash but the short answer to your question is yes. There are no limitations to fly tying and you’re welcome to do or use whatever you like. As best as I can tell hackle flash is mylar and I think Mylar is some form of polyester, if that even matters. Remember, there are thousands of fly patterns out there each tied a hundred ways. If you want to match exact materials to how someone else tied something you will go broke. The things I would look for are the colorfastness of the yarn, the thickness of the yarn and what I want my fly to look like and do. Who markets that material is of little concern. Personally, I don’t buy or use a lot of craft store stuff because it’s generally not the right size, thickness, density, or it is sold in way to much quantity. You can always try it and if you don’t like the results you can cut it off the hook and start over. 

The boa yarn and eyelash palmered on a hook make flies that have caught a lot of fis, warmwater.. 

You can also add legs before you palmer the material.

Rick

Like Poopdeck, I don't use a whole lot of craft store material.  Pretty much for the same reason.  Way too much material.  I generally buy the craft foam to use for my top water bugs.  Since you have the materials make use of them.  Looking at the materials in your picture, the top one, the strand is too thick, unless you plan to tie very large flies.  All the others will work.  Just use your imagination and start tying. 

Thanks for the replies.  I could not see any different in the photos of my yarn vs the official stuff.  That is awesome, because I bought a lot of that stuff around fifteen years ago when it was super popular.  So far, I dug out about twenty five different varieties of eyelash and weird novelty yarns that are synthetic and look like good candidates to try out.  It’s a great Christmas present.  I have so many more materials on hand to try out, already bought and paid for years ago.  Joy!!!

Happy Holidays, LisaLou

The main difference between Hackle Flash and eyelash yarn is the component materials - Hackle Flash (as well as Polar Chenille, and other, similar products sold under various names) is composed of mylar fibers, which are going to be a bit stiffer and a lot "flash"-ier in the water than the fibers in eyelash yarn. Otherwise, same stuff. The eyelash yarn has a lot of fly tying applications -- leech imitations spring to mind, as well as collars and wings on streamers. It has a great undulating action in the water, which is always desirable. I can even see it --in smaller sizes--making nice gills on larger nymph patterns. I agree with others who have responded - experiment and enjoy! :)