Fly Tying
LisaLou

Help Rehabbing my Universal number 1 vise

IMG_5126.thumb.jpeg.ee1631b6d81757e8ed8d3891dd04dd6a.jpegIMG_5125.thumb.jpeg.2af6d86284ed6ea253d8954cf0d985c7.jpegIMG_5124.thumb.jpeg.e4de491cf2a90db0c1174c9aa081104f.jpegIMG_5127.thumb.jpeg.6a46090c67be0a1e9232dc55b8f6869d.jpegHi, I got a used vise as part of a kit.  It has a table clamp which I did not picture.  I have not used it because I don’t want to make it worse.  It is a little loose and I was wondering if I should try and put a washer or something to fill the gap.  I can push the wheel part back and forth a little, but the pressure fit is too good for me to force it off the shaft, so it would have to be some sort of split washer.  It’s a little squeaky too.  I was thinking maybe the white plasticky plumbers tape or something like that to make a snugger fit so the wheel stays where it is supposed to, maybe?? 
I have been tying in my hand held vise and enjoying it because I can sit in my recliner with my feet up.  But I really need to tie sitting properly at a desk with really good lighting.  I have the start of cataracts and lighting is a problem for me. 

thank you, LisaLou

Hey, I have two of those #1s and one #2. Or maybe it's the other way around, I'll have to check. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure there's a YouTube video on how to shim either the #1 or the #2 if there's too much play in there. I'll see if I have it bookmarked when I get back to my desk. 

That would be great!  Yeah, I can tell where the wheel is supposed to be, but it’s just too worn and slides away, making a gap.  I figure I can either leave the wheel where it wants to be and fill the gap by the stem, or shim the wheel into its proper location.  Or I could split the difference.  Maybe a drop of sewing machine oil or a dab of Vaseline to stop the squeak.  

I think I’ll bond with it better if it isn’t hinky.  I do like the big easy wheel.  It’s pretty old, because it says patent pending and nothing else that I can find.  I’m glad to give the old girl another try, since I’m an old girl now myself..   LL

Well, I was wrong about the Youtube video, it was for the Universal #2 vise.  I did dig out my Universal #1 and took some photos for you to compare.  There is virtually no play in mine in that area. 

IMG20231227200239.jpg

IMG20231227200254.jpg

IMG20231227200258.jpg

A good member here sent me a copy of the original instructions that came with the vise, but it's in with my tying books which haven't been unpacked yet.  

Comparing photos, it looks like the rod that forms the vise jaws could be pushed back onto the rod that also holds the wheel, have to be careful though not to hurt the jaws.  Best bet maybe to get a thicker vinyl or silicone washer, cut out a section to make it resemble the letter 'C', and snap that on there to take up that slack.     

That sounds like good advice when I get to a hardware store.  For now, I put a couple of tiny silicone hair bands around the rod to fill the gap and it worked okay.  Thanks for mentioning silicone, it got me thinking.  Thank you for your help.  LL

It looks like the spindle might have a taper and the wheel may need to pressed back into place to remove the play.  Might want to disassemble, clean and lubricate before re assembling. 

There is a taper, but it doesn’t seem designed to ever come apart.  I did not put it in a bench vise and try to pull the wheel off, but I did try by hand with a lot of force and don’t think that’s a possibility.   I will look at it tomorrow in the sunshine with fresh eyes and see if there is something I am missing,  at this point it’s easier to take a photo and enlarge it so I can see what’s going on.  Thank you for all the interest and suggestions.  I have only had the kind I use as a hand vise, the one little metal one that came in the Noll or tack-l-Tyer kits,  it does seem super handy to be able to rotate it around.  It’s kind of hard to beat holding the work in hand, at least for flipping around to check your  work and using gravity to your advantage.  Winding on materials can be a little tricky, but I figure if I can make flies in hand first, I will appreciate the vise even more.

thank you all so much, LL

I've got one that's like new. It, too, came with a very good kit. Which was not used too.  The wheel is tight and I believe it's press fit.  It doesn't wobble at all.  I don't think it's made to come apart, but I might be wrong.

A Last Stand suggestion would be to clean the gap and put some super glue in the gap and push to close it up.  Heck, it might work.

Yes, Gene, I agree with you.  The exposed spindle tip end is grooved on mine, not knurled.  I am sure it was just pressure fitted on.  As a fix, I first tried tiny silicone hair bands as washers in two spots.  I also tried one spot, but was not happy with it.  I ended up pushing the wheel inward as tightly as possible and putting a silicone rubber band around the shaft to snug it up.  It turns the smoothest and I think any wobble is user error on my part.  I think white plumbers tape and making a thread dam would be the best and keep it snug.

i am warming up to the vise now, especially as I have discovered “woven flies” which would be difficult to tie in hand and maintain symmetry.  I rearranged my bedroom to allow my desk and crafting storage cart to form a work area.  My bedroom is more of a personal space, like a den, as I have a recliner and television also.  I repurposed an old metal typing desk with two fold down side wings as my work desk long ago and just love it.  I use a lot of magnetic hooks and trays  I’m getting a lot of storage and organizing ideas here now that I have a vise set up and want a dedicated work area.

thanks, LL

I haven't tied a fly yet, on my vise.  I'll do that in the next couple of days.  At first, the lever locking the hook had me stymied until I figured it out.  Takes some playing with it to get confidence with it.

1 hour ago, LisaLou said:

especially as I have discovered “woven flies”

Right up your alley, I'd bet, looking forward to (hopefully) seeing what you come up with and post.