Fly Tying
Alex C.

Need storage ideas

I am finishing up my tying room and am in the nit picky phase of organizing. How do you guys store your chenille? I get it in 36" lengths. I have a sheet of peg board up but only want fur/feathers on it. I thought about a tupperware style container but vetoed that. I would like something where I could have it all in one place, easy to get what color I need and cut it off. I was thinking something similiar to how you can snap multi spools of tippet on your fly vest on that little bungee chord, but was hoping somebody might have a better idea

I bought some vinyl baseball card holder sheets that fit into loose leaf note books. I put each color or size into it's own sleeve and I can easily see what I have with a glance. I have three notebooks one with dubbing, another with chenilles, and yet another with poly and antron yarns, good luck.

Try a "bulldog clip" from your local office supply store. Buy the widest one available, open the clip, insert your chennilles and hang it up on the peg board. Then all you have to do is clip off the length you need. Hanging up the chennille will also get out the kinks from being wrapped around that little card. Save the plastic bag it came in for something else.

user posted image

Alex heres an idea I have. I havent done this yet myself but I plan to soon.

get one of the plastic storage compartment boxes that you use for hooks and such from the hardware store (used for holding screws and junk). Then get a piece of round dowel rod about 3/8" in diameter and cut it into sections that will fit in to each compartment. Now drill a hole about 1/4" in the lid of each compartment. Wrap the chinelle around the dowel rod pieces and slide the rod into each compartment, then thread the end of the chinelle through the holes and close the lid. Then you can pull out however much you need.

Like I said I havent done it yet myself but Its an idea I came up with awhile ago that I havent seen anyone do yet, but seems like it would work to me dunno.gif

Got the idea when I saw a dubbing dispenser box, figured it would work by the same principals for chinelle.

Heres an idea for the chennile. Take a piece of wood cut to size of yuor chice get some 35 mm film containers drill a hole in the gray lid just about the size of the chennile you plan to put inside it screw the bottom of the container to the board fill the container with the chennile and pull just a bit through the lid, make sure the hole you drill is of a size that puts just a little tension on the chennile. When done pull the amount of chennile that you need out snip it off about a half inch from the lid and bang you have what you want plus the next time you need some theres just enough sticking out that you can see what size and color it is and will be able to grab it again and pull and cut what you need again. It could be monted on the wall right in front of youor where ever you like.

All things with a prominent grain, such as feathers, hair, flash, and flashabou, I use my ZDO Bags. (Of course I do!) For chennile, I stuff all my chenniles in a large ZDO bag, so I can open the end closest to the color I need. This nit-picky stuff is one reason why I designed the bags. A hint for flashabou -- get some plastic cable ties, and cinch them around the staple end of the flashabou. I do not know why flash has cable ties, but flashabou does not. Bugs the heck out of me, but I will be selling them with my bags shortly.

user posted image

There have been some good ideas, but one thing you should consider is that feathers and fur should be stored so no bugs can get at them. "locked up tight" They might look good hanging on the wall but its to easy to be had. Most bugs dont like Cedar. Something to consider if you are going to make cabinets, or shelfs.