Fly Tying
MfishP

fly fishing business

I have not fly fished in quite a long time and still have all my gear. A few years ago, I bought my license but work and medical issues (have 2 torn rotator cuff injuries) didn't help. I saw more people fishing during the pandemic but didn't get my chance.  Spring ahead-new job and I'm ready to get back into it as I don't work weekends. I noticed all my go to online places are not what they were-Dan Baileys I see is still in business but their online site is not like it was. Also, I know Kaufmanns Streamborn went out years ago and Bob Marriott's is still in business but what actually changed? I cant seem to get on sites and browse pages like I used to. Local fly shop by me is actually still in business but from what I understand it is a part time business when the owner has time.

Yes, as you can see, there is no shortage of online suppliers.  Some have disappeared since you were last active, but there are many more around.  The challenge, I’ve found, is to find one supplier that has most of what you want to order at any given time.  I’ve given up on this.

Many thanks Flytire  -that is a great list and I will add to my favorites-I have Fly Shop in CA, Orvis, Madison River fly shop. Orvis-years ago (early 90's) I broke a rod tip prior to going on vacation, and had sent it back to them for repairs. Since it took awhile, I called Orvis and guy said if you don't have the rod by the trip we will contact a shop in the area and help you out. It arrived the day I was leaving-a brand new Orvis 5 weight. 

Wish I had kept a list of all the shops I filled fly orders for - that are no longer around...  Very tough business to make a go of (and keep it profitable)... More than thirty years ago Chico Fernandez ( a prominent saltwater tyer,  writer for Fly Tackle Dealer,  and author of many books) was kind enough to sit me down with paper and pencil to go over the projected financials of owning a fishing business when I was strongly considering having my own shop...  Over and over again he pointed out that if I had a shop - and wanted to make a go of it - that I would have to give up fishing almost entirely -- and concentrate on taking care of business instead.  He also pointed out that with far less capital I could take up guiding - make the same modest amount of income - and actually be on the water... Where I am today, beginning my 29th year as a guide was the direct result of what he showed me all those years ago...

"You can make a small fortune in the tackle business, no doubt"... First we'll start with a large fortune...