Fly Tying
flytire

Goodbye rod, goodbye fish

LoL - what's that saying?  A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work?  

I've only lost one rod in my nearly 30 years as a guide... Here's the (actually true...) story.. The backcountry of the Everglades where I take most  of my anglers has numerous rivers that drain the brackish interior out to the coast and saltwaters... These rivers are wild mangrove jungle scenes and usually eight to twelve feet deep with strong currents when the tide is strong.  With dark waters we can, at times fish right on top of bottom fish that will hammer a live or dead bait if presented properly.  My angler that day was a big fellow (college football tackle size ...) and he got taken to the cleaners with the first two baits so I set him up a third time, and he dropped down into the same spot and was immediately hit by something a lot bigger than the first two bites.. in fact it was so big and so quick that it actually snatched  my angler out of my skiff before I could reach him... When he went overboard he held onto my poling tower and i was able to pull him back aboard - but he'd let go of the rod  -so that was that... We joked later on that next time he fished with me he'd have to wear a tether - but to this day I'm very careful where i allow my anglers to stand on my skiff.... and the following week I had to make another heavy rod... If there'd been a camera recording that incident the video would have gone viral i'm sure - there are fish (and other things) in the dark waters of the 'glades that once or twice were definitely bigger than my 17' skiff.  No, not a place for a casual swim at all....