Fly Tying

I have fly fished for years but never tied my own flys until now, my wife gifted me an orvis premium kit for my birthday. Please let me know what you think, I will be fishing these soon. The hardest part for me is the whip finish. Broke thread twice and I believe I used to head cement. Best picture I can do on a cellphone.

20240305_195245.jpg

Looks good, it'll fish! Far better than my first fly haha. Did the kit come with a whip finish tool or are you doing it by hand? I've broken my thread at that point as well, there's nothing more frustrating. It appears you're using some nice quality brand threads from the background of that picture though.

In all, whip finishing will come in time the more you do it. A couple tips to save your fly in case of thread breakage at the end: 1.) You can occasionally tie a half hitch to effectively save your work. Video here if you're unacquainted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Thcs__gRvKI (He also has another video showing how to use your scissors to aid you. People will also use an empty plastic pen as a tool to make this easier as well). 2.) Barring that, you can take your hackle plier (if they came with the kit) and attach it to the end of your broken thread to weigh it down and keep it from unraveling further. Then re-tie on your thread and continue with/finish your fly.

As for using too much head cement, when in doubt....it's better than your fly falling apart prematurely. The fish won't really mind. Just make sure it doesn't wick into material you don't especially want it to (Hackle, dubbing, etc.) depending on what kind of head cement you're using. And obviously make sure the hook eye is clear.

I'm a beginner as well but I'm sure you'll get some great replies here.

But great work! Wait until you catch your first fish on that fly, there's nothing more rewarding.

Thank you so much for your encouraging words.

I entered this hobby on a budget to save on the cost of buying flys.

My next investment will be magnifiers, smaller then a 14 is to much to see, I use mostly size 10 to 12.

The orvis premium kit was recommended and has everything you need to get started.

I'm really enjoying myself, heading to the eastern sierras in california in @2weeks.

Looking forward to using my self made flys to fish the walker river.

Tightlines

Welcome, and congrats.

If you're breaking your thread at the whip finish, try fewer turns. Three or four should do it.

Here's a great resource for flies in the Eastern Sierras, if you're looking for hatches and patterns. Click on his recommended patterns for recipes and step by steps.

https://flyfishingthesierra.com/hatchEast.htm

Magnifiers help but don't skimp on lighting.

Have a great time at the Walker (East Walker out of Bridgeport?) 

Your ties are looking good! I think we’ve all been there, sometimes still there. It’s annoying to break off thread, especially when you’ve finished your tie. The recommendation to use hackle pliers is great, I sometimes use a bulldog paperclip (faster for old fingers to get ahold of thread). You’ll also find that no matter what brand of thread you buy, you’ll sometimes get a bad spool. All you can do is throw it out and get another. I’ve had Danville, Uni, Montana Fly, all break before. Less trouble with Veevus and Semperfli. Just keep tying, be patient, don’t get frustrated. Looking forward to seeing more of your ties!

Welcome, and nice job on the fly.  You'll quickly get a feel for thread tension, unless you really like threading bobbin holders.  Whip finishing by hand or with a tool also quickly becomes second nature after a few flies.  Using a few half hitches to finish the fly instead of whip finishing is another alternative, especially if you're using head cement. 

Enjoy the Sierras, post some photos.  

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and tips, they are very useful.

Yes I will be somewhere on 395 fishing from Bridgeport to coleville, then lake topaz. From mid March to October

I make flys as needed, I will post some tonight. I will be practicing whip finishing on a bare hook this evening, wish me luck.

Tightlines

It’s a great start! most of us use a cell phone to take pictures or at least a lot do. Maybe just some do. I hope me and you aren’t the only ones using a cell phone.  Use better lighting and your pictures will be fine. Welcome aboard.