Fly Tying
DFoster

Bone Handle Fly Tying Tools?

A guy reached out to me from the U.K asking if I knew the name of the U.S. company that manufactures/sells fly tying tools with bone handles.  I did a google search and there were lots of bone handle knives but nothing came up for fly tying tools.  The way his note is worded makes it sound like he's seen these tools somewhere. Perhaps they were available at one time and are now out of production?  Anyway I though I would ask if anyone here knows of a source.

Maybe talking about antler handled tools. Dressed Irons and Fischer Flies sells bodkins with deer antler handles.

I have an antler bodkin somewhere that I acquired years ago.  I’m thinking it was from a guy on a web forum that made them and offered them to fellow tyers.  I just searched and you can find them on Etsy

I'm planning on making fly tying tools with handles of all kinds when I am done with my recovery. They will include complete sets of tools with bone, antler and mammoth ivory handles.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

I'm planning on making fly tying tools with handles of all kinds when I am done with my recovery. They will include complete sets of tools with bone, antler and mammoth ivory handles.

If you're ok with it I'll tell him to reach out to you here.  He was looking for pricing, including shipping to the U.K.

maybe if he found an antler in the uk, he could make his own tools

Whitetail Deer Antler Tips - (10 Pieces 3-5 inches Long) (Natural Brow –  deervalleydogchews.com

The Portable Tying station I made with Deer antler tools. - The Fly Tying  Bench - Fly Tying

Yeah, neither would I.  That bobbin holder is pretty cool.  

9 hours ago, DFoster said:

If you're ok with it I'll tell him to reach out to you here.  He was looking for pricing, including shipping to the U.K.

Well, I'm not looking for work right now. I'm not going to be taking in new stuff for a while. No Please. Thanks though, I probl'y should not have mentioned it.

8 hours ago, flytire said:

maybe if he found an antler in the uk, he could make his own tools

Whitetail Deer Antler Tips - (10 Pieces 3-5 inches Long) (Natural Brow –  deervalleydogchews.com

Those are nice, gives me ideas. If you know, can you list those tools from one side to the other? I don't recognize some of them.

17 minutes ago, flytire said:

I figured if anyone had seen these it would be you Norm.  Do you know if someone offers those for sale or are they more of the one off made by a craftsman for their own use?

7 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Well, I'm not looking for work right now. I'm not going to be taking in new stuff for a while. No Please. Thanks though, I probl'y should not have mentioned it.

No worries Mark- I have no idea who this person is, it could be King Charles for all I know. He probably saw a photo like the one Norm posted and thought "Ooooh shiny"!  I can't blame him those are beautifully made by someone.

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

I sent the photo Norm posted to him and said that many custom knife makers in the U.S and Canada use antlers to make their handles.  I'm guessing that was a custom order for someone. A craftsman with that skill set could replace the handles on a set of tying tools and replicate the photo.  There must be people right in the U.K. who can do this type of work- google search should get him where he needs to be