Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Worstcaster

UV Resin to Split Wings

I'm trying something new for me.  I tied poly yarn to the top of my fly and moved the wings apart with my dubbing needle and fingers.  After that I put some UV resin and the base and finished tying the fly as normal.  The Wings weren't as wide as if i had tied them split, but I think they are close enough, should look very visible on the water, and be sturdy against a few takes.  Opinions?

PMD1.jpg

PMD2.jpg

PMD3.jpg

PMD4.jpg

Not being a smart a55, just wondering.  Why use UV resin instead of using thread to split them?  What problem are you trying to solve?  Pretty little fly, BTW.  

Edit - and I should add, I have used tiny amounts of UV resin to secure small  bits in place when my frustration level gets up there.  Me and biot tails do NOT get along, no matter how patient and caring I try to be.  

56 minutes ago, niveker said:

Not being a smart a55, just wondering.  Why use UV resin instead of using thread to split them?  What problem are you trying to solve?  Pretty little fly, BTW.  

Edit - and I should add, I have used tiny amounts of UV resin to secure small  bits in place when my frustration level gets up there.  Me and biot tails do NOT get along, no matter how patient and caring I try to be.  

I have trouble splitting the Poly Yarn evenly without thread.  I tend to catch a few strands and lock them forward or wrap them around the hook with the thread.

I see, same thing here, especially troublesome the smaller the fly, though on smaller flies I'm not entirely convinced that the presence of the wings makes much of a difference to the fish, but to me it doesn't look right without them.  Seems like a good solution.  As I said, I've used UV glue or super glue on nymphs for tails and such when I couldn't get the thread or my fingers to do what I wanted.  

I’d just use thread to split them because it just seems easier, faster and better. But if UV glue works for you then it works for you. 

Where do you find poly yarn so thick you need to separate the thread?  Or is everyone tying very small flies?

On 3/29/2024 at 9:13 AM, Gene L said:

Where do you find poly yarn so thick you need to separate the thread?  Or is everyone tying very small flies?

On the flies in the picture, I'm using Wapsi poly yarn on a size 14 and 16.

its a perfectly good idea to use a bit of uv resin to help separate the wings

splitting wings is not always the easiest thing to do with thread

instead of splitting wings, I find a single post works just as well

Fish don't care

I tie about 2000 flies per year for non-profits and anything to make it faster and easier I try

Think "guide" flies

However using UV resin is a great idea