Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

rattles in smallmouth flies?

Anybody tied any smallmouth streamers that incorporate rattles? I just ordered a couple of packs and can't wait to play around with them. :devil:

They are made of glass I think(correct me if I'm wrong), anybody ever have any break while fishing in rocky areas? :dunno:

Never have tied with them but I would like to know if they work. I am thinking a rattling crayfish fly would to the trick.

I tie them in to craws all of the time!!! and they work perfectly. Mke sure you use the 2 mm size or the thinest ones.

Id use them and not be concerned if they break or not cause you know as well as I do a fly wont last for ever. I think there cool let us know how they work for you.

Rattles work like a charm in bass lures, I don't see why it wouldn't work in flies. I've thought about doing that to my flies too. I'd imagine it would be great in wooly buggers, jig 'n pig lookin things, and other bottom-bouncing patterns. Heck, I'd even like to try it in a firetiger sheep shad pattern (Chartreuse and orange, with black stripes) to immitate a firetiger Rattletrap (as much as I can, at least). My brother's caught some nice stream smallmouth on a firetiger mini-trap.

Smallie,

I've tied Rattlerousers, which incorporate a small glass rattle, for largemouth bass and redfish down here for years. I've never managed to break a rattle in the fly (although I have managed to break a stainless steel hook point off somehow...). The rattles are actually quite durable if they are covered with mylar tube or something of the sort. A lot of recipes call for epoxying over the rattle once encased in the mylar, but I haven't found that it is really necessary. Good luck with your experiments.

Mark Delaney

Good Day,

I love rattles and have incorporated them into several patterns for both bass and trout.

One of my favorites is a sculpin pattern. Killer on Browns and Bass!

Steelie

post-295-1133381750_thumb.jpg

Good Day,

I love rattles and have incorporated them into several patterns for both bass and trout.

One of my favorites is a sculpin pattern. Killer on Browns and Bass!

Steelie

post-295-1133381750_thumb.jpg

That is one cool pattern!!!!

You can get them in bulk from barrlowstackle.com for under 10 cents each I wanna say 4 to 5 buck for 100 but I can not find a recipt. I do not epoxy or wrap any tubing on mine just tie em in and add a bit of cement. My craws are ribbed with copper other wise they are wrapped with something dubbing chenille etc.....

I have about 15 streamers in my box with rattles in them. They are "go to" flys when the water is heavily stained or muddy.

I would be more concerned about your back cast and things in front of you then the bottom. You can feel the fly when its in the water. I have hit a metal bridge with a glass beaded fly and it shattered, but when the fly was in the water I was fishing and not concerned about it. Just trying to add to your confidence in your fly.

Maybe he thinks rattles in flies are funny ?

Maybe he only fishes drys up and across for native trout ?

Maybe he's not aware of your amazing Smallmouth prowess and the fact that you know what you're talking about?

Maybe he just thinks you're funny?

:dunno:

Fishy