Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jmmccutc

trouble with deer hair

IPB Image

i'm having trouble getting my deerhair to spin up nice and tight...this is leading to trouble shaping my heads, and what i was wondering was are there any tricks? I'm tying on an amount of hair comperable to a pencil diameter at a time is this too much? too little? if this isn't my problem what things can i do to improve my deer hair...

keep in mind i've been doing the deer hair thing for about a year and a half and i'm just not satisfied...it may simply be an experience thing...i know that it took a long time to learn how to adequately tie dries, nymphs, streamers, ect...any advice info is appreciated...

thanks, Jake

My deer hair improved when a couple things happened

1-I started using big honkin clumps of hair

2-I really started putting some serious pressure on each clump when I spun it.

3- I really started putting some major pressure on each clump when I packed it, so much that I started to develop really sore fingers after only a few clumps getting tied in adn had to start using a packer

Packing the hair tighter would defiently fix your problem. When you feel that you have enough hair you can usually put at least two more clumps on it.

there is a few things you can do to get a tighter deer hair fly.

Use a clump of hair the size of a nickel in diameter., tease out the under fur, this will make spinning easier.

There are different quality types of deer hair., Wapsi Fly Company carries belly strips of hair that is a better quality of hair.

Use a hair packer, then add some daves flex cement to the base after each clump of spun hair.

Use a double edge razor blade to do your trimming. this makes the fly look alot tighter and neat.

Good Luck.

Good advice so far. I'll add few considerations:

1. as you increase clump size and pressure, your thread choice becomes more important.

2. I usually add two quick whips between clumps, which are slid down the hook shank with my fingernails or a brassie hair packer. The knots usually stay in place allowing the fly to survive accidents and interuptions in the process (kids & dog at home;) )

Best Wsihes,

John

thanks for all the advice, i've been practicing and after about 4 or 5 here it's starting to get a little better...hair is packin up tighter and the fly looks more full...but hey my trimming jobs leave something to be desired still...(sort of looks like Mcfly's hair cut :hyst: :j_k: )

before

IPB Image

after

IPB Image

Couple other critical things to consider that have helped me big time.

You need some serious strong thread. I prefer gel-spun.

And as other folks have said, hair packer is important to pack it group tight and a double edge razor for good, clean trimming. I break my razor in half and use one side at a time for detailed triming and shaping.

Also, a good video never hurts.

Chris Helm, Whitetail Fly Tieing Supplies Chris Helm(419) 843-2106 can hook you up with it all.

Good Luck, So far you doing a really good job.

Let me chime in with an obvious point, but one which took me a while to figure out (self taught) - Are you spinning your hair on a bare shank? Don't run the thread down the shank, that makes the hair much more difficult to pack and spin propperly. If you're stacking multiple colors or looking for other effects then an undercoating of tying thread may be appropriate, but for simple bugs you should tie in at the bend, tie in your tail and begin your spinning on a bare hook shank. Using a drop of flexement acts as a lubricant, this can also be very helpful and as a bonus the finished fly becomes almost indestructible.

Gel spun thread is great, but too much pressure can cut the deer hair. I like a big, round thread like a Flymaster A+ or even a rod winding thread for very large bugs. Personal choice.

Finally, Trim off the fine tips of the hair bundles before you tie them in. That way you use the straight shaft of hair to get a nice, dense pack and clean trim.

YMMV. My $0.02

Joe C.

Thanks for the advice guys, i'll keep practicing and applying all the info and i'll be sure to keep posting pictures to inform you all of the giant steps of progress i'm sure to make...Maybe i'll even be able to post a picture of a fish i'll catch on one of my own...;)

I have found that I get more success packing the hair tight if I stack it instesd of spinning it.

IPB Image\

yep, stacking not spinning seemed to help alot...it's not perfect but getting better and in about 1500 flies i'll be as good as Atroutbum2... :bs:

If you notice some sparce spots, you can wind your thread back to that spot and add more hair. Just wiggle your bobbin a little as you wind back to it, that will help the thread settle in between in hair you already put in, and the thread will help in making the fly stronger.

Above all else, keep practising, and use the tips from the guys and you will have what you are looking for in no time.

IPB Image

this'll probably be the last photo that i post for a while, but it does look like things are "shaping up" some...thanks for all the advice...you guys nurtured me like a baby and held my hand through it all... :baby: :hyst:

again, not perfect, but will catch fish...and that's what i'm all about...thanks again...

Here are a few things I learned from Dave Duffy, who spins hair bugs so tight you can sand 'em:

1- After taking two wraps around your hair stack, pull the bobbin toward your navel, not up or down.

2- Pack it with a hard push and slight twist. Then put a half hitch in and start your next bunch right in front of the half hitch.

3- When starting, hold the hair on your side of the hook shank at a 45 degree angle to the shank.

About trimming..... The double edge razor. as suggested earlier, is THE tool for trimming. Hold it between your thumb and index finger and flex the blade to the shape you want, hold it there, and PUSH the blade through the hair. Scissors are used only for finesse shaping and cutting stray hairs.

One more thing.....When tying a collared fly like a muddler, tie your first bunch of hair in with the tips still on, and facing the rear of the hook. STACK this hair, don't spin it. This puts the collar where you want it, on top of the shank. Pack it like spun hair, then trim the tips from all of the rest of the bundles you tie in.

OK......one more "one more thing"..... Hair can be spun on thread covered shank just as easily as a bare hook. And it makes your bugs more durable.

Jule