Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Furled Leaders

I've been tying furled leader for a while. You are correct in thinking they are not difficult to make. Once you get everything set up you can furl a leader in about 5-6 minutes. I have used mono thread, 2&4 lb. ordinary monofilament, polyester thread found at some of the biggers stores' sewing section, 6/0 and 8/0 Uni Thread. I've got probably 50 on hand tied in different colors and sizes. I given and traded alot of these and everyone who has used them really liked them. Good luck with your furling. Let me add .... I used an electric drill and a cordless drill on my first 15-20 leaders and I thought it was just too time consuming. I have a 2 speed Dremel tool that works fine as long as it's on the slow speed. You can furl each side of you leader in about 12-14 seconds.

Took some of my leaders into the local flyshop yesturday, owner liked them enough that he has asked if I would sell him some.

1st order out the doorpost-3271-1144598439_thumb.jpg

Fry Flier

Great job and way to follow up. When I first started making them I did the same thing and gave some out to the owners and interested parties in my local shop as well as the young fellow that runs the fly fishing shop in Bass Pro near me. Been on a roll (furl) ever since. One thing I have not seen anyone men tion here is the treatment of thread leaders for dry fly fishing. You do need to treat the furled thread leader with red top mucilin or other paste flotant of your choice or they will get waterlogged and sink like a rock.

Trying to find a place to get some of the Red Top Mucilin, arounf here the only Mucilin that I have been able to get is the green (silicone based) one. Thanks for the input I am trying different styles and different materials, having fun with it and that is what I want.

OH FOR THE LOVE OF CR@P!!!!

Now I see this and get the jones to make these, too??? Not enough that in the past month I've gone from a single fly rod and two boxes of flies to 3 rods, two CASES of fly tying materials, boots, waders, etc. etc. but now I see this and want to give it a try, too???

Will the madness ever end? Do I quit my job to work on all of this? What???? A fellow can only have so much time in the day!!!

Seriously, though. Really cool. Really interesting. Does this sport have a bottom to it, or will I be left scrambling forever... never feeling like I'm within 16 miles of having what I need, forever feeling like I need to take 3 days off just to make stuff and get stuff ready?

The easiest answer to that is the bottom for all fly people is different.

Some of us are gadget heads, some of us are fly tiers, some are leader turners, some are rod makers. After all the single catagory people are the 2/3/4/5/ you name catagory people. Once you get all of your people sorted into the 1 - 10 or 15 or 20 (you get the picture) catagories you have the fish and photo people, or the Bug People (Entomologist). So as far as you go is up to you, your time and your interests. Oh yah, money figures in there somewhere to.

I'm a Maker. Have a woodshop that I love building stuff in.

Love tying, though I've just gotten into it.

Want to make rods this winter.

Want to make these furled leaders, even though I barely understand them and their purpose.

I even grabbed some foam that computer componets got shipped in and want to make my own fly boxes. I think they're crazily expensive for what they are.

I'll never be a bug guy. I am somewhat of a gadget-head, but like improvising gadgets a lot more than buying.

And somewhere in there I have to git fishing, too!

If the interest is there for the leader you are in luck, I beleave that there is from what I have been told a step by step tutorial coming in the next Hatches issue. The process in not difficult and the materials are not costly. It is like fly tying what you gain is confidence in yourself and your equipment. Check out the Hatches Mag. I know the the tutorial writer will do a great job and then the mystery will be over and the fun will begin.

I'll look forward to that! Hatches is awesome, and the concept behind the leaders is really interesting.

I did also make my own landing net (bent walnut and ash), but ended up buying a canoe. Just no time to do one out of cedar strip though I will someday.

The Hatches article is on it's way for this comming month. It's a little longer than some articles, but it should give you everything you need to know. Also, after the article comes out, we are going to reopen the leader swap, so give it a shot and watch for the swap. It should be a great way to try different patterns and get some good layouts.

Madkasel - I know what you are talking about with the cedar strip boats. I am determined to do a kayak some day - when I have time, money, a place to do it.........

Leaders seem to be working out well the shop I took the last dozen of leaders to just ordered 2.5 dozen more. This time they have added fluorocarbon to the order.

A dozen mono, a dozen uni and a 1/2 dozen fluorocarbon. Time and minimal costs are starting to buy rods and reels.

was in that "local" shop. very nice !! I seen your leaders and they look awesome. I make my own as well but would not dare compete with you for business ;) I may buy one of your leaders sometime soon, I can't seem to find 2lbs flourocarbon I want to make one of my leaders, I can't even find less than 4lbs mono nevermind. so I've been using UNI and find that if you make the 2 sections with different colour thread you can get some really groovy looking leaders :devil:

I use regular knotless tapered leaders NO MORE, not after having tried furled, they just can't be beat!!

I might make a whole bunch and use Sudbury as my market when I go on visits. I have a particular shop there in mind which I go to every visit there.

Thanks for the kudos Chris, I am tying with many different materials now.

You want a nice light mono you can use Uni-thread mono or go to a sewing store or wally world, they have Nylon .004 and .005 thread.

The .004 thread will give you an 8-9 pound leader

The .005 thread will give you an 11-12 pound leader

thanks for the tip :)

so far it's been .008 mono, I made one with .009, think I'll have to save that for shark fishing or something :P that Uni is great stuff, I've used the 6/0 chartreuse and fire orange.