Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SwampHunter

How Many Of You Are Worried.........

about Bird Flu?

I was sitting here tying Wolly Buggers tonight and they had something on T.V. about Bird Flu. It got me to wondering if folks would be worried about tying since alot of feathers come from other countries.

Not trying to start a panic, but just curious.

I'm not worried about handling the feathers. I imagine with the way a large portion of the commercial feathers are processed, the risks would be minute. It's what the feathers were attached to that would have me worried, particularly if the bird was infected.

The bird flu does have me worried with the way it spreads. I'd hate to loose seeing ospreys fishing, eagles soaring, the enjoyment, beauty, and wonder of a good portion of nature. I'm also worried about the effect on humans and if that flu got going in the human population.

Not to sound uncaring or anything but the bird flu might be the best thing to ever happen..... There are too many of us anyways.... but I think it's a bunch of BS that it would cause a pandemic, because you know if we wanted to we could deal with it quickly....

Also, some of the top scientists in the world predict that to be able to transverse the species barrier in a major way it would most likely become a lot less lethal in doing so.

I'm not worried. One of the, if not the top, experts on "bird flu" works where I do. He's worried, a lot actually from what I've read, so I'm not as worried because of that. He's a brilliant scientist/doctor, and I have faith he and his team will find a way to contain this virus if it spreads to humans. I think his concern will drive him that much more to succeed.

As far as handling materials, I'm not worried at all for the reasons already stated.

my only concern is in regaurds to material and the avaliblity of it. Onec it gets here Im sure a cure will be found as long as the government dosent get in the way and allows the private sector to do it. Other than all of the chickeng getting the ax on the way to the incinerator Im not worried.

It is a bit scary but what isn't you just keep plugging along and enjoy life while you can. Sooner or later something is going to get you, old age, drunk driver, all those big macs, or maybe an old lady pushing a shopping cart. You don't have control over it.

Dont get all bent out of shape guys, they say the only way you can get the bird flu is to ingest the fecies of the bird, which I dont know about you guys but its something I dont plan to do any time soon, just make sure if you handle any bird fecies just wash your hands before you eat.

The only way to get the bird strain maybe by eating crap, but the concern doc's have is that the virus is going to evolve into a human strain then we've got a problem as it will be easy to transmit from one to another. Thats the concern scientists have.

Can you imagine, if the bird flu hits the birds like they think it will, what the cost of supplies will be. In fact I bet they wont even allow import and export of birds in part or whole. Then that means we better stock up now. Let me know if that works with your wife. I'd like to use that one if it does cause Im out of reasons and excuses to keep stockng up. I mean Ive got hundreds of em but none work with her anymore

I got scared a little because of that :P I got to the local fishing store to buy some hooks, and the guy selling there offered to give me some parrot feathers. I said yes of course!!! and then he said a parrot died, so I can get some more <_< I got home, tied some flies and then heard AGAIN about the bird flu on tv..

I live in Romania and we had cases in many parts of the country( but never on human )

That scared the sh#t out of me that day.. The day after I forgot about it

So I lived to tye another fly :D

I wasn't really worried until Jay Leno had a lady on last night that gave rescue breathing to a drowned chicken...

But I guess that's why Darwin is still popular.

I'm ready!!! The only thing I'm worried about is tying a size 22 Royal Wulff in this contraption!

IPB Image

I'm not worried as I can realy do nothing about it. It is a concern though if migratory birds get it and start dying all over the place. Then it would be realy something to worry about.

You know folks - I have lost a grandmother, a father, a mother, a sister all to cancer over the last couple of years, and now my niece has the damn disease. I say tie as many flies as you can, fish as much as you can, and the hell with the small things like "what if I contract bird flu"!!!

Live out loud!!! :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo: