Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

glue 4 double bunneys

I tyed up some double bunneys for the bass swap,but I have to tie up more because they got to stiff after gluing used zap a gap and lock-tite super glue.

need some flexable glue

What do you guys use and where do u get it

THANKS FC

Good question FC :headbang: I wondered the same thing. What I've been doing is using super glue, but only using a small drop here and there, usually only 3 drops total for a 4" fly, so it doesn't stiffen up the whole thing.

There was a post here about this a while back. There was a product called tear mender mentioned that will not stiffen up the strips. I usually just glue the top and bottom of the strips a short way behind the hook with zap a gap/carazy glues. Just enough to keep them from fouling the hook.

I found the Tear Mender. I haven't done much with it, but have been pretty happy so far. Does seem to stay quite flexible. Really easy clean up too. I can pour it on a smooth surface (like my desk) and after it dries I can peel it off the smooth surface.

I found it at Fleet Farm in the tarp section. Suppose it has to stay pretty flexible if it's meant to fix tarps. Check the Val-A website for distributors.

I've had good results with Barge Cement (its a flexible contact cement); I've heard good things about tear mender.

Adams

Zap a Gap is cool as long as you use it sparingly. I had more than one streamer go stiff before I learned that a little dab'll do ya!

I have found that Aleene's Quick Dry Tacky Glue works gangbusters. You can get it at any craft store for a couple of bucks. I also know alot of guys that use Tear Mender and they swear by it.

I am glad you jummped on this one whippersnapper, as I trust your statements, ten fold. I was just too worn out to look up the post. What did it say keep it deep...I am all for that. Hope this helps Merl.

I use barge to make my mocassins (142 pairs sold so far). Cannot get barge any longer. Tandys has their own label now. Works almost as good as barge good old toluene. Nice vapors. I'm for trying whippersnappers suggestion. Cop a hell of a buzz with your nose over the vise with toluene.

Another double bunny question not covered by this or the other thread (and there isn't a double bunny recipe in this site's pattern database... somebody should take care of that!) ... do you just use a plain ol' zonker strip for a double bunny? Or is it something wider?

Going bass fishing in June and figure I'll need to tie up a bunch of these!