Fly Tying
sniksoh

are there any careers in fly tying

When I did it and quit my real job I was a CATV service tech making like $9.00 an hr.(this was the mid 90's) Best I could figure out after materials and overhead I averaged about $12-$13 an hr. I was getting top dollar for my stuff..not selling wholesale to the shops.

And then tying bass bugs and buying capes there are all these feathers left over you can't use. So it's really hard to figure out your loss there. And yes I did buy capes and pull every usable bass bug tail feather off it trying to figure out how many flies I can tie off this cape...just can't remember what that # was.

There is no way you can compete with overseas tiers now days and make a living doing this. Unless of course you have a close customer data base that don't care what it cost,they want what they want and will pay for custom and quality.

It turned my passion into a choir I dreaded.

It turned my passion into a choir I dreaded.

I have a nice woodworking shop in my basement. Used to make custom bases for basket weaving. Even with the jigs I made to speed things up all I really made was enough to buy more tools. And yes, sometimes it was a chore.

An answer to your query about what education to pursue! You must have an MBA from a highly rated school, Harvard or something like that. In theory, you will look beyond your "hobby" when you realize what everyone is telling you. By the time you get your MBA, you should have had offers of at least $150,000 per annum and you can use your "hobby" as a "hobby"!