Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
sniksoh

what the heck is a tube fly???

i just recently saw tube flies on the internet i cant figure out what they are used for...???can u help me

Everything. Tying on tubes is a technique thta has been around for decades. Traditional patterns can be tied on the tube and the tube allows options regarding hook size and style to possibly enhance hooking or reduce fouling. Other patterns get used specifically for tubes to create a more 3 dimensional/omni directional silhoette effect. -Not something I do personally but no less a personage than Lee Wulff was a big proponent of tying on tubes.

just fyi steve I get a bunch of hits from that site!! go to the links page!!!

Hey guys,

You may want to take a look at this page too.......it gives a better description of the different types of tube flies.....Bottle Tubes, Juri Shumakov Tubes, and Standard Tubes.

Types of Tubes

Also another page of ours that illustrates a couple of ways to fish a tube......

Rigging a Tube Fly

Let us know if you have any specific pattern questions.....tube flies are the way to go for Salmon and Steelhead!

:D

[email protected]

How exactly do you tie these? Won't the thick round tube make the body of afly appear rounder and thicker? Or are these mostly used for streamer, spey, salmon and other big patterns?

The tube thickness will limit how small you can go, and really in teory there is no reason to go to small. The primary benefit of tube flies is that you can use a short shank hook while still having smaller fly, so that the fish has less leverage to dislodge itself. As that is the case the style naturally lends itself to larger type patterns. That being said I am experimenting on some nymph patterns for fun...

by the way...that Sorcerer's Stone caption is hilarious!

Sorcerer's Stone caption is hilarious!

HAHAHA thank's the pic below it I got from Redleg. I like the caption I gave it. :hyst:

Ok thanks for clearing up the size thing on tube flies for me. ;)