Fly Tying
daniel1979

hook organisation

I was just wondering how most of you fellows go about storing and organising your hook collection?

I've just moved into a new property and my lovely girlfriend has allowed me to utilise one of the room as a fly tying/rod building room :D :D The only condition is I have to keep it clean and tidy :o

Any advice on organising my sprawling hook collection?

Cheers

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I use peg board to organize almost every thing in our fly tying room. The hooks are in 3x5" zip lock bags with 1 to 3 thousand hooks per bag. We have one peg per hook style with the smallest hooks at the back of the peg and the largest to the front. EX: Dry fly with #24 to the back and #8 to the front. We keep one black peg to the right of the hook selection so we can place the hooks we don't need out of the way. Let's say we are tying an order of flies in #16; then we place sizes #8 to #14 on the spare peg leaving the #16 hooks easily accessible. When the order is done the hooks on the spare peg are placed back on their own peg. We follow the same procedure for hackle, dubbing, etc. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty

www.btsflyfishing.com

I use an ordinary pin board and just pin them to that through the hole at the top of the packets they come in, I keep one row of 14's in various hooks shapes etc one of 16's etc.

I use a Plano tackle organizer made of plastic with 24 compartments. This works for me as all I am tying is about 15-16 different hook sizes or styles.

I use one of those plastic parts drawer organizers. It has 30 small drawers, 6 across and 5 down. I use the larger drawers on the bottom for bigger stuff.

Hooks are in drawers by type and size. columns of drawers are for dry,wet,nymph,streamer with the largest sizes in the top drawer, and progressing down in size toward the bottom drawer. Any unusual hook styles go into remaining small drawers.

Every drawer is labeled with the hook type and size, in large (3/4") letters.