Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fall Browns

One day my fish i catch will grow up like that.Graham thats wrong though,it like saying my net is bigger than yours.

I've been doin the fall brownie thing with Pujic for a quite a few years now, he looks pretty young in this photo..

post-992-1159659159_thumb.jpg

Watch out, another pod of pesky salmon pushing through.....

post-992-1159659204_thumb.jpg

And a few more of Pujee Baby in action...

post-992-1159659291_thumb.jpg

post-992-1159659310_thumb.jpg

post-992-1159659349_thumb.jpg

Graham...One of these days :D

Magnificant fish you guys caught.

Care to share the rigging and flies used? I've already tied a couple of those green nymph/caddis you posted earlier. Friend of mine at the local fly shop is interested in having a few! Thanks for sharing it.

Thom

Is it a bird, no, its Wickedcarpenter up in a tree spottin trout......

post-992-1159580300_thumb.jpg

Was that the only place safe from those big brown monsters?

Graham, was that picture of "Wickedcarpenter up in a tree spottin trout" taken in upstate New York? I could swear it's on one of my favorite fall brown creeks.

Hey SullyTM, I mostly use the fly posted as well as purple and or blue. About rigging... I thought I had tried it all, floating line, sink tips, full sink lines, each of which are productive, as long as the fly drifts on the bottom, and you are tight to the fly and can feel everthing going on down there, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, bite... I think a lot of guys get bit but don't know it. Fall brownies do feed, at times voraciously, but, like most fish, they turn on and off all day. The secret is really just to keep fishing and keep concentrating, for hours and hours, until they trun on again. This year I'll be fishing a special rig, with a couple of new features I've never tried before. Chris Carlin is making me an 8wt bamboo rod and the reel will be the Angel that Hardy sent me for letting them use one of my realistic flies in their European advertising, and the line is a custom green silk 8wt salmon taper sent to me from Phoenix Fly Lines in France. I drool every time I think of the rog I'll be fishing with this year....

Hey oatka, I think you do know this stream, its one of 4 that I like to fish in the area, and please don't mention the steam name on the internet... lol...

Graham

Had to do some bragging myself. Disposable cameras don't do this fish justice at ALL. She was caught in very early January, but still had her fall colors. Another Cumberland River fish. This fish WAS caught by me, BTW.

IPB Image

Hey dafack01, AWESOME fish!!! and great photo!!!

Sometimes it can be hard getting the fish to be cooperative when the camera is ready.

post-992-1159722333_thumb.jpg

post-992-1159722350_thumb.jpg

Graham, years ago I use to fish that creek on the way home from class at college. It was so nice. Then, last year I went by there on a saturday and the first 2 bridges had 40 cars between the 2 of them. It's not that big of a place to really make 40 cars full of people comfortable for everyone. This year I have a job that allows me to be off most afternoons and I hope to get out there soon when there are less people on the creek.

So, Did you come all the way from California just to fish that creek? If so, then please, please, please don't YOU mention the name of it either. In fact, I was just out there the other day and they put the whole creek in a tunnel and built shopping centers up on top of it. you can't even see to the water, ANY of it, let alone fish it.

Hi oatka, I heard about the new development, and hear there is a good Chinese fast food joint where the tree used to be. The streams near Pulaski are still open and fishing well...

Hey dafack01, AWESOME fish!!! and great photo!!!

Sometimes it can be hard getting the fish to be cooperative when the camera is ready.

Thanks, Graham! 3 pictures were taken with the hopes that one would turn out halfway decent (which this one did). In the last picture she jumped free of my grip so we caught her in mid-air en route to the boat floor! I've never had a Brown jump until this fish (mostly they just bulldog it). She cleared 2 feet 4 times!

You've caught some mighty fine fish yourself, BTW!

Gotta like it when they jump. What I dont like is when they roll and twirl and wrap themselfs up in your line. If I see this I try to pull them back under. Dont they get mad. Trout season is over here. I found out where the browns spawn. I am going to try to get there with my camera. What kind of tree is better for spotting Oak or maple?

I was always under the impression that fall browns were very territorial, and would hit just about any fair size streamer. Those big fish you guys showed were caught on nymphs. I guesse it doesnt matter how big they get they still feed like a smaller trout.

Gotta like it when they jump. What I dont like is when they roll and twirl and wrap themselfs up in your line. If I see this I try to pull them back under. Dont they get mad. Trout season is over here. I found out where the browns spawn. I am going to try to get there with my camera. What kind of tree is better for spotting Oak or maple?

I was always under the impression that fall browns were very territorial, and would hit just about any fair size streamer. Those big fish you guys showed were caught on nymphs. I guesse it doesnt matter how big they get they still feed like a smaller trout.

Mine was actually caught on a 3" Yo-Zuri jerkbait. The wind sucked that day. No matter what the season, the vast majority of the truly big Browns on Cumberland are caught on streamers and gigantic ~2" stonefly nymphs. Giant streamers get particularly effective in the fall when the Browns start getting horny here in Kentucky. With streamers, anywhere from 2" as big as you could possibly want (up to 10" is popular with the trophy die-hards). So it just depends on where you go.

Thanks for the info Graham...I've already tied up a couple of those greenies! The only place local that has browns is a place called Putah Creek. Don't know if they get big like the ones you've landed, but you never know!

When you get all of the rigging together, post a photo. It sounds like a nice rod/reel/line outfit!

Later...Thom