Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fall Browns

Hey SullyTM,

I was thinking about what I said, about the rigging. I really like fishing sinking lines and eliminating the split shot, so, no tick, tick, tick,.... much fewer rock hook-up's. The problem is needing different weight lines for different sections of a stream. For deeper faster deeper water I like the Teeny Chuck-N Duck-line, but, a hundred yards downstream, where the water opens up and flow is slower, the line at times just sinks to the bottom and won't drift. For those situations a Teeny Mini-Tip, T-130 or possibly T-200 would work better. I guess if I had to choose one rig for everything it would be a 130 for a 6wt or a 200 for an 8wt. For quite a few years I fished a 6wt for the fall fish, but for the past two years I fished an 8wt. The 8 gives me more control over the fish, can turn them before getting into swifter water below the pools, resulting in fewer fish lost. I find most bronws stay in their pool and dog it out rolling, head shaking and sometimes jumping, but some do try and make a run for it, especially the females. I don't want this to sound like an ad for Teeny products, but, my favorite all around rig is a T-200, a short 4 1/2' Teeny tappered 15 pound leader, then a 25 lb super-microsized-barrel-swivel, then about 2 to 3 feet of 8 or 10lb Orvis Mirage flouro tippet. This setup casts and fishes very smoothly and the tippet can be changed often without shortening the leader. I really want to figure out how to rig up my silk line for this years trip without adding a single large BB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.... In the Sierra I often use the tiny micro sized shot in different sizes, placed about 16" apart, and use much longer leaders, sometimes about 17' long. Perhaps trying to mix tungsten powder with flexament and coating my leaders. I have a couple of silk leaders that from France, came with my Phoenix line, but I'd hate to ruin those with an experiment gone bad.... Well, just to be prepared, I bought an extra spool for the Angel and it has the new Teeny Tip-Taper 175 on it. I'll have fun this year....

I really want to figure out how to rig up my silk line for this years trip without adding a single large BB. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated....

Are you saying you want it set up so that there is absolutely nothing on the leader other than the fly?

Graham...Very good info! My local fly shop doesn't carry the line you talked about...in fact they don't carry much of anything in the ways of sinking line. What I did, with the help of a friend was to take my 18' sink line and cut it into 4 different lengths and tapers. I don't like using split shot because of the effect it has on the leader/casting...probably more of a commentary on my castiing than anything else...I like the barrel swivel concept...using one as part of the line connection keeps the whole rig in uniformed direction.

Thanks, Graham.

Thom

No, I want it to sink, drift deep, but without a single big shot of lead...

I have two ideas, they might not be what you're looking for but maybe they'll inspire something else.

1- What about using a weighted fly instead of the shot to get it down? It wouldn't be what you were intending on catching the fish with, but it wouldn't give the ticking sound you're trying to avoid, it'd get the fly down, and it would also serve as another option for the fish.

2- What about usign tungsten putty. You could just put it on the very end of the fly line, not on the leader. The extra weight would get the tip of the sinking line down alot faster and keep it there without any of the negatives of split shot.

I'd say go with a weighted fly, but I personally like to leave my flies unweighted so they move a little more freely in the current. Then I just use split shot to get them down.

Hey OLB, thank you!!! I think tungsten putty on the tag end of a knot will work well, and if it snags, will pull right off the line. Now why didn't I think of that!! Thank you!

Graham

Good Day,

Although sometimes difficult to find... you could tie your flies using tungsten sheeting. A rubber like sheet impregnated with tunsten. Very heavy. I use it for abdomens on many nymphs, and makes them heavier than standard lead or bead head nymphs.

Pic and recipe:

http://www.grandriverflytyers.org/fly_gall...p;x=29&y=26

Steelie

Weighted fly, sinking leader, and T-200 line would be a rig that woudlnt need any added weight ;)

I havent used the sinking leaders yet but from what I hear they are pretty darn slick stuff B)

I guess I like to fish weighted flies under indicators, and un-weighted flies with either shot or sinking line. One thing I like about the fly I posted, it can be fished as an egg or as a nymph. I like to fish nymphs with a natural dift, which means at the same rate of speed as the current. When fished as an egg, it needs to drift naturally like an egg, close to the bottom and quite a bit slower than the speed of the water. Drop a real egg and a real nymph into a small stream and you'll see what I mean... Thats said, one thing I've learned to do, is keep my fly in the water, even when stopping to talk, or eat, etc... Some of my best fish took a fly hanging in the current, with no drift, and the take is usually very noticable, so, always hold the grip tight...

Hey Stony, I posted a pic yesterday, but just realized it went into a different topic... Oh well, here's a pic of the fly....

IPB Image

Awesome. Thanks Graham. I'll be tying a few of those this week as I'm heading down to the Gunny this weekend for some of those nice browns. Gonna get there really early so we beat the crowds and hit the honey hole. I should have some pictures for ya on Monday. I hope to have pictures for ya on Monday I should say. :headbang:

Wow!!!! they don't make Brown's like that here in Cali!! I can only imagine. What weight fly rod did you get thoes monsters on Grahm??

Hey pickin6ofem,

Upper and Lower Twin Lakes near Bridgeport has monster brownies, lake record is about 29 pounds. I wish I had time to drive up there, Oct is when they run up the stream between the lakes as well as above Upper Twin. About your question, 6 and 8wt rods work well, seems that I've switched to using the 8 more often in the past couple of years, more control over the fish and fewer lost.

Here's a pic of a local Kali fishin buddy, who scored at Twin Lakes, he kept the fish and now it hangs on his wall...

post-992-1160184443_thumb.jpg