Fly Tying
Joe Hard

Fall Browns

I am not fortune enough to be able to fish the spawning runs of browns, I think the season is over very soon, I am going to try to get out a few more times this year, then concentrate on turning my river fishing to Atlantic Salmon.

This thread is about pictures of browns in their fall colours and the flies that caught them. I understand that brown trout become very aggressive and attack anything they do not like...big ugly streamers at this time. I know that big browns cause some fishermen nightmares, and others to drool. I fit in bowth categories, and am fortunate enough to have some good brown trout water near by, but my season is limited. I know some members here have there boxes full, others are tying. The thought of hooking several trophy browns to some is a highlight of their seasons fishing. If you have flies, (any fly) stories or pics past or present I am sure that most members would love to see them. I know I would.

we have a pretty good brown trout run here in east tn. I try to leave the browns alone during the actual spawn. I try to get them running up stream to spawn "pre spawn". I really like going after the rainbows during the brown trout spawn.When they set up beneath the browns and eat their eggs. Egg patterns of course work well, but alot of the times anything bright will work. I have a little saying, when the fish get bright the flies get bright. This is a big female i caught while fishing for rainbows beneath her, never saw her she just ate the fly " rooks berry nymph" raspberry color she was close to 30" the front guide on my rod was almost at 32" so I estimated her at around 30"

post-3974-1157860307_thumb.jpg

Up here in NY we have some good lake run browns (or so I've heard never caught one). Hopefully this November I'll get to catch one. Graham and I (plus some other mods I believe) are going fishing at Oak Orchard. Im kind of clueless of how to go about it but I've gotten the stuff he reccomended and cant wait. Im also lookin for some patterns besides normal egg patterns.

Caught this brown last fall on the Gunnison. It was my only day fishing the Gunny too and the only fish I caught that day.

IPB Image

IPB Image

:bugeyes: That one is a freakin' football. Awesome browns Graham. You better not say that you caught them all on the same day. :lol: