Fly Tying
stony

How much do you have invested?

This past weekend, I was going through some stuff on Microsoft Money and I decided to take a look at how much money I have spent so far on fly tying.

$644.45 was my grand total. Now granted, those are from the receipts that I brought home and entered so I would venture to say that there is probably another $50 that isn't figured into.

It's very surprising because I looked at spin fishing stuff and I only have about $135 invested so far this year. Most probably because I have everything I need.

I told a buddy of mine and he mentioned that he has over $10,000 into this little hobby. I can't imagine that but then again, at this rate, in 14 years, I'll be there.

Anyways, how much do you have invested?

I have more than I care to admit, $1000's over 14 years. This year I added maybe $300 - $400.

I don't feel too bad cause last night I was at the annual Fly Club auction and watched a guy spend $1,100.00 on a rod and reel. They spent $300 plus on pictures with a couple of flies in the frame. I saw them buy 1 framed fly for $175.00. How about a handmade quilt for $600 with flies on it. One box of nymph's, maybe 30 went for $200.00 and a box of mayflies in a wooden case was over $300. You can spend as much as you want if you got it!

Good Day,

Ha ha... I am in camp with Don. Over the past 16 years the tying materials must get well into the thousands. I think I could almost open a small shop with what I have acrued so far...

Steelie

Well, lets see....I have over $2200.00 invested in my vise collection alone. In the thirty years of tying flies, all but 2 commercially, I wouldn't even dare or want to estimate materials value. I know there are many here that have more than I do too.

MrBones

I am guessing but I would say that I have spent close to $10,000 this year, easy if not more. A lot of new things. (fly tying and fly fishing). Lord knows what I have spent in the past.

For spin fishing under $1,000, mainly for the saltwater. ( I bet in the last 5 years)

I look at it this way, I am spending money on things I like and want. Otherwise I would just blow it on beer

I'm just a hobby tier. I give flys away, sometimes trade with them. In all, I'll tie up a couple hundred flys a year. I mention this to say that I have a budget, of sorts, for flytying which I try to stick to. For the last 5 years, I'd put that budget at about $100 per year.

Frankly, I don't think that's too bad. If I bought one soft drink a day from a vending machine at work, I'd spend something like $250/year, and not give it a thought.

For just the things directly related to flytying that i personally have (not including my shop) then it is probably about $15,000 give or take $2,000 ..... mind you that is Canadian $$$

I have been tying flies for the best part of 20 years and if i actually would have kept track of everything i ever bought then it would easily double that figure and maybe even come close to tripling it. I have used more sadlle hackles, squirrel tails and deer hair than i care to remember.

If my wife only new what I've actually spent over the last 10 years. I'm probably $1500.00 this year alone. I STILL NEED (WANT) MORE STUFF (JUNK).

Just in my hook drawer I would guess close to $750, the rest I woud guess $2000 to $2500. Tools and vises about $700 - $1000. And to think twenty years ago I started tying to try to save money on flies.

Carl

I just got back into it from a 2 or 3 year break and I spent about $200 just in 1 1/2 months. Money sure goes fast when your having fun.

Randy