Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
jimmiemac

NY Browns

Last I heard, that was tunneled and has a shopping center over the top of it. :whistle:

lots of egg patterns......lots of egg patterns

I would tie some zonkers in case the water is still high (pink, chartruese, olive and black)

also a selection of nymphs stonefly and hare's ear

Pray they dont have high water, the timing could not be better for you. I'll be up there around Turkey day. Chartruese eggs #14-12, olive wolley buggers 8-6, leave the indicators at home they dont use them on the oak except in the frog water. Clousers for the frog water emeral shiner imitations.

IPB Image

I'm Oak bound on 11/9

Fished it last on 10/27/06.....one steelie about 7lbs....lost another that I couldn't get a handle of........pink zonkers

Just got back from the Oak, and fishing was pretty good, sorry , no photos. Fished Sat and Sun, with little pressure. Sat. was much better with alot of big Browns showing up. Landed 3 Steelhead. Fished with Bead head pheasant tails and peach estaz"crystal eggs"for the most part. Also fished green cased caddis. Had great weather and a good time. On the way back to Mi. we stopped by PA. and fished the Elk and tore them up!

jimmiemac

I'm originally from Medina, NY and have fished the entire length of the Oak Orchard. It's a great fishing place along the entire length. If you're looking for a decent motel check out Albion, NY and a place called Dollingers. Make sure to get the one on West Avenue. The number is 585-589-6308. It's right up the road from the Oak.

A new listing never heard of them before right in Waterport which is right around the corner from the Oak is:

Captains Cove Motel, Marina & Tackle Shop. , 14339 Roosevelt Hwy, Waterport, NY 14571, (585-682-3316).

Another site you can check is :

Orleans County Tourism

Check out the fishing tabs and it will give you some ideas.

I have loved fishing that area my whole life and always try to get back whenever I can.

I know this is all long winded but Enjoy and have a great time, one warning I will give you WEAR EYE PROTECTION!!!!!!!!! whether your by yourself or not.

Tight lines and wish I could be there with ya. I heading home for Thanksgiving on the 23rd of Nov and might check it out if I can get away.

Fatman

What do you mean, you got hosed, where'd you fish? We fished from Archers pool, down to the walk out and hit fish the whole way. Water was up and stained but if youv'e fished it B4 the fish were in same areas, however they were spread out a bit. Did you see anybody hooking up?

Bruce

fished from the dam to the top of the sycamore.....one buddy got a 3 pound steelie and lost another about the same......saw one other fish hooked.......fished it hard.....covered lots of water....I thought conditions were ideal......I believe this was my first hosing on the Oak (mind you I only usually fish it once or twice a year)....swing streamers, drifting sacs, flies...you name it....just couldn't connect with anything