Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
fcflyguy

dry fly

Elk hair caddis is an easy one for me, my first was an adams. Most of them are easy once you get the hang of it, but there is a learning curve!

Tie em with an experienced tyer and you'll be way ahead of the game.

I like patterns with no wings. quick tie, and great for the small, fast creeks around me. I really like a Dark barred hackle, with an adams grey body, and some microfibbits for a tail. Its a deadly little guy, and much easier than an adams, which is also an easy one.

If you have trouble with wings (especially quill, and hackle barb wings) try tying with a parachute wing post. Much easier and very productive.

Patterns; Adams, march brown, caddis

Conehead

I would think a better question to ask would be, i need a simple dry pattern to match the hatch.

What part of tying a dry gives you fits Merle? wings, hackle body tail?

Personally, i think parachute pattens are easiest, the post/wing is one clump and the hackle is wound arround it. just a few simple techniques that u need to master and your off and running .

The hardest part of dry fly tying is finding the right tools to help you make the task of tying easier. I cant tell you how many diffrent hackle pliers i bought before i found one i love.

Well the easiest would be a Flick Blue Winged Olive, med dark dun tail that is a little long, olive dubbed body to match your local hatch, and med dark dun hackle a little more then 2 times the hook gap.

Joe Fox

I have to go with atroutbum2, you haven't explained yourself very well. What is is you are trying to accomplish? What part are you having trouble with? We can point you to some good tutorials....

For simple, here in the southeast we tie an Orange or Yellow Palmer that is killer for brook trout. A golden pheasant tippet tail, orange/yellow dubbing for the body, and a grizzly hackle palmered the length of the body. It doesn't get much easier.

For a traditional Catskill pattern, I'd suggest something with a bundled fiber wing, such as the Hendrickson, Light Cahill, or March Brown.

A polywing spinner is an easy dry to tie. There is no hackle to mess with which makes it one of my favorites.