Fly Tying
zephyrite

What's the best vise?

Hi all!

I'm trying to figure out what the best vise is for tying ugly bugs? It's actually a gift for someone who's just starting to tie. I know little to none about it... Though I do know I can't afford $200+ for one! :P

I know I want to get a rotary vise, but are there any decent ones in the $100-or-less range? What about $100-$200 range? Anybody heard of the Zephr Crown Vise from some company in CO? Its supposed to be a Regal knock-off...I found it on Ebay, but the picture makes it look a little, um...ungainly?

Ebay Zephr Crown Vise

Are there any other considerations I should think about? I'm sure it will be primarily used for steelhead/salmon tying.

Thanks for any and all help! :D

I can't help you with the Zephyr Crown vise, but you might want to check our sponsor's website. J. Stockard carries the Blackfoot Mongoose for under $160, the Peak for under $150 and the Danvise for under $80. All have their fans and I would recommend any of those over a knock-off bought on Ebay. I recently bought the Peak from J. Stockard and am very happy with it.

More comments here: http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=4319

Theres no correct awnser to that question. Thats like asking "whats the best car ever made"....some guys will say a Chevy, some a Ford, some will like Mopars...you get the idea.

All have their fans and I would recommend any of those over a knock-off bought on Ebay

I totally agree with that statement. Stay away from the knock off brnads on ebay. 99.9% of them are cheaply mde imitations and wont last very long at all. Personally I like my Renzetti but if you want a low cost rotary vise then check into the Danvise which can be bought new for $69

"What's the best vise?"......that's simple.....the one you're tying on. any other vise is just a paper weight.

that said, I own a Danvise. It's a step up from my "kit" vise, but i'd replace it with another if mine ever died. Good vise, good price. Rotary is a must. I love that feature.

Instead of looking at ebay, why not try what a local fly shop or sporting goods store has on hand?

We all can suggest, but we all have our likes and dislikes with a somewhat biased opinion.

Although staying with the top brands like Danvise, Dyna King, Renzetti, Griffin, (and many more) will assure you years of problem free tying, and if need be, great customer service. B)

I just have to recommend a Regal.

I'm using one thats probably at least 35 years old - at any rate its older than I am...

Not true rotary but rotates, and perfect for a beginner.

Zephyr,

I too am in the market for a new rotary vise and have done quite a bit of research on them recently. I've narrowed it down to either a Barracuda Trekker or a Peak but am leaning heavily towards the Barracuda based on the many positive feedbacks from people on the forum.

I also like the longer arm on the Cuda which gives more hand clearance.

Both vises can be bought over the net from Hook&Hackle for 20% off. The Peak will run you around $120 and the Cuda around $175.

I'd stay away from the cheap knockoffs however, I now have an EZ Rotary I got from Hook&Hackle for around $40. Actually it is not a bad vise especially for smaller hooks. For larger hooks I would go with either the Cuda or Peak.

Dave

I like my craftsman vicegrips very well :rolleyes:

So that's what was hooked up to the toilet paper holder :dunno: :whistle:

:hyst:

Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the feedback! I'm pretty sure I'm going to settle on the Danvise. Looks like the best I can get for the amount of money ($69.00!). That seems like a good starter vise without going down to a kit-vise. Besides, it sounds so cool to say it's made out of the same material as the Stealth bomber! :cheers:

The really good plus is I get to catch fish with the end product! :yahoo:

Thanks again! :headbang: