Fly Tying
Woody

Rotary vs Almost Rotary

Can anyone give me some good feedback on the good or bad points of the true rotary vises like the Renzetti vs the psuedo rotary like the HMH. I have a Peak but not happy with the hook holding ability and am going to change. Most of my tying are either bass/panfish flies or saltwater flies and the only rotary needs really are the ability to rotate the fly so the adding of material is easier. Kinda like the HMH style!

Thanks

Woody,

I just bought a Dyna-King Trekker and it would serve your needs well as it really holds larger hooks tight. It is a true rotary which means you can easily wind materials onto the hook as it rotates along the axis of the hook shank. You can get one on line from Hook&Hackle for $175.

The HMH is also a nice vise and day5 (see their post a little further down) has a good price on it at $150. My gut feeling is that the Dyna King would hold the larger hooks you tie on more securely.

Dave

Even if you don't usually use the true rotary feature the prices between the two are pretty close. I would get a true rotary cause you can still use it to rotate the fly to add materials easier and you might end up using the true rotary some day where with the other vice you don't have the option.

i also tye mostly bass and panfish flies.. i upgraded this summer to a renzetti full rotary. you wont believe how much you'll find yourself using the rotary functions until you have them im impressed with how much i use it for just simple flies. once you get into the habit of using the rotary you'll find yourself using it every chance you get.

Woody, I tie mostly bass flies on an HMH Standard vise with the regular jaws and have had no issues with it securely holding large hooks. Also, when tying Clousers, for example, where I want to be able to attach materials to the top and bottom, I simply rotate the vise arm until it is parallel to the table-top and clamp the hook at the bend so the shank remains horizontal as I rotate the fly over.

To some degree, personal preference plays into this decision. I started tying on a standard Thompson "A" style vise, so I was specifically looking for a great quality, straight-armed vise that would permit me to continue to comfortably rest my left hand on the vise as I tied in materials. Thus, I have been more than happy with my HMH. Perhaps this is not an issue since you bought a Peak and didn't mention being put off by the angled arm.

-- Mike

I tie a few hundred flies a month (production) and I only turn the fly to change my thread angle or view it at a different angle. I do not use the rotary for any other reason. The peak is a good vise Im not sure what your issue is with the power. I sent you a pm. The HmH is the best vise I have ever tied on. Holding power is as good as any other vise made and it is fast. By fast I mean I can tie 60 to 70 globugs in a hour. the lever arm is easy to set and open and close. I almost never have to re adjust the vise unless I change hook sizes.

This is my hmh I keep the vise level so I can rest my hand on it. It also keeps the fly level if I turn it. I do not have any trouble accessing the rear of the hook

post-2608-1168384849_thumb.jpg

'Woody'

The term 'true rotary' is just Renzetti fluff and marketing, IMO.

If you want true rotary, consider a NorVise.

Hywel

I've tied a lot of flies on six different vises and IMO the rotary advantage is a myth. A skilled tyer will tie lots of flies no matter what vise he uses.

My bench vise is a Nor-Vise and my travel & tube fly vise is an HMH Standard. If you tie mostly streamers and panfish flies, that angled thing on a Renzetti will get in the way when you work on the underside of the fly. The HMH is a very good tool and I would recommend it over a Renzetti.

Woody,

I also have a Peak and have had no problems with hook holding. That was one of the strong points in the reviews I read and was one of the reasons I went with this vise. You might want to e-mail the company. I received immediate feedback from them with help and eventually a replacement part to fix the problem.

Jeff

Renzeti, they just came out with a new vise that is supposed to be for the average tier ($250 is still a little pricey), The Presentation 2000 series, Looks like a very nice vice though. And it is true rotary (You should get true rotary!).

Fly Tyer Guy

HMH ALL THE WAY!

they, to me, are truely one of the best, affordable vices on the market. and heck, its close enough to rotart, that it pretty much equals up with a Renzetti. I mean really, how many times do you have your hook perfectly centered? even if you dont, it still eorks fine right? and how bout when you switch from a 16 to a 8 hook, do you move the jaws to a different setting instead of just turning the screw?

oh, and I was talking to HMH, and they said that they might be coming out with a true rotary...........................

Personally i prefer the Regal RCS5 which is the C-Clamp Rotary model. I have been tying on the same vise for about 16 years with most of them being as a commercial tyer. I would wager that i have put well in excess of 100,000 flies through this vise and it still holds hooks as good as the day it was new.

It is also the best selling vise in my shop by quite a stretch.