Fly Tying
Eric

Ever meet any fishing celebs?

in Kevin's defense...the man knows steelhead....ain't no damn doubt about that....and Kev...the Dr received his paperwork!! Thank you!!!!

I've only met a couple that I actually got to spend more than a minute speaking to them.

Joe Humphries and Craig Matthews.

I had the pleasure of meeting and working with many of fly fishing's "names"

Most that have been mentioned in the above threads.

I had the pleasure of spending a day with Jack Dennis in my cat. We were fishing for smallmouth bass in Western NC and it is all documented on a show titled Blue Ridge Bass.

The show will air on Fly Fish TV, on the Outdoor Life Channel, on Sunday March 21, 2004. It is supposed to air at 10:00 am but check the listings.

A good way to get up close and personal with these is to attend a Federation of Fly Fishers Conclave.

There is one in Gulf Shores, ALabama and Bob Clouser will be there. And some of the finest tiers in the Southeast.

Anyone who wants more information give me a shout.

Irish

I am new to the sport and personalities of fly fishing, but I have met John Nagy, Karl Wexielmann and John Bodnar (Steelhead guys). I did recently meet Charlie Meck. I was most recently president on my local trout club and worked on getting him to come and speak to our club and do a book signing. It was nice to meet him. I had him sign a book to my daughter who was only 5 months old at the time. Someday she will know of him when she gets into fly fishing. I also meet John Randolph, editor/publisher of Fly Fisherman Magazine. He did a story on the Family Tyes group I am a part of and I had my pic. taken and was in the magazine with the story. Cool stuff.

Lefty Kreh

Kelly Galloup

Chris Helms

Joe Humphreys

Bruce Richards

Dave Whitlock

Bob Summers

Sarah Gardner

Brian Horsley

Bill Glaspie

Rusty Gates

Steve Southerd

Craig Mathews

Dennis Potter

Enrico Puglisi (s)

Sean McDonald

Harvey Wall

John (J.T.) Thomas

Dave Duffy

Dirk Fischbach

Jack Gartside

Dick Pobst

Jeff McGowan

Dan Catau...

and many more to come I hope and more I'd enjoy seeing again! smile.gif

Jim Teeny & Joan Wulff were the two "big" names that i have meet

Rusty Gates & Steve Southard are pretty well know Mi shop owners that are popular and they are both very nice guys.

Someone i have never meet but would love to get the chance is Bob linesenman hopefully some day i will get the chance to meet him.

SD

With just getting starting into the sport of fly fishing i really can't say to much.But if any of you have heard of the nameChuck Farneth.He is a cousin of mine.But as for that i consider all of ya celebs.

tt

Over the years I've met several, although a few only briefly:

Lefty Kreh

George Harvey

Joe Humphreys

Bob Clouser

Ernest Schwiebert

Dave Whitlock

Bob Popovics

Poul Jorgensen

Frank Smoot - wildlife artist

Gary Borger

Ed Koch

Charles Meck

Joe Branham

Tom Eggler - owner of the Gaines Company

Bill Black - founder of Umpqua Feather Merchants

Art Shenk

Ann McIntosh -autographed copy of one of her books for me

Silvio Calabi - Editor of Fly Rod & Reel magazine

DL Goddard

Janet Downey

Nick Lyons - book publisher

Ted Godfrey

Tony Accardo- ownert of Accardo & Pecks Poppers

Randy Swanberg - owner of Flycraft, Inc

I've also talked to a few on the phone, including:

Ted Leeson

Randall Kaufmann

Mike Mercer

Ralph Delph

Jeffrey Cardenas

Chris Helm

Gary Soucie

Probably a few others, but I can't remember them all!

Peddler, where did you meet Sarah Gardner? She's an old friend of mine! She worked at a local shop at one time. Sweet girl, and loves to fish! She also did some art work for me once. I've never met Brian, but know of him by his reputation & writing!

QUOTE (SDHflyfisher @ Feb 27 2004, 03:18 PM)
hey eric i was at the same flyshop that day and saw dave
the fly fishers in west allis wisconsin

Right-on!

Are you from the Milwaukee area as well?

QUOTE (Jim Hester in MD @ Feb 28 2004, 06:49 AM)
Peddler, where did you meet Sarah Gardner? She's an old friend of mine! She worked at a local shop at one time. Sweet girl, and loves to fish! She also did some art work for me once. I've never met Brian, but know of him by his reputation & writing!

I first met her at a rod show in Charlotte, then later at the Outer Banks during false albacore season. In fact, we just booked her for a guide trip out there this October for Fat Alberts. Her and her husband live down here during albie season and are considered the top guides. Gotta love their Jones Bros. boats!

Is it true she was a neighbor of Lefty who took her under his wing and taught her casting? She does throw a line a country mile and can be seen on the Kreh video 'Lessons with Lefty'.

Peddler, I don't know about the neighbor part, but I know she spent a lot of time with Lefty and he taught her how to fly cast. She traveled around for a while, and worked down in the Fl. Keys at a fly shop, then returned to MD. I was told she had married Brian, and I see her name listed on fly show events & on articles she writes. She always was interested in fly fishing and she's made quite a reputation of her own! Glad to hear she's doing so well!

When you see her, tell her I said hey!

Back in the late '90s I wrote a book, "Wisdom of the Guides: Rocky Mountain Trout Guides Talk Fly Fishing." It is a series of interviews of guides and photos I took of them.

I interviewed about 30 guides for the book (only 11 made the final cut) and it was one of the wonderful experiences of my life. Among the notables were Gary LaFontaine, Al Troth (inventor of the Elk Hair Caddis) and Mike Lawson.

I'm a Midwesterner but I lived in Dillon, Montana, when the book came out and I was there for seven years. Al Troth became a friend of mine, and I had several sessions of watching his production fly tying. Amazing to watch a master at work.

The minimum order Al would accept was $500, payment in advance. Way, way out of my league. I have some Elk Hair Caddis he tied (I bought them at a TU banquet in Butte) and they fish all day. I don't know how he does it.

I'm a fairly mediocre fisherman but I'm a helluva lot better one for having done those interviews. It was like 30 fishing & tying seminars of two or three hours each with heavy hitters. And darned nice guys. Gary Lafontaine sat in his living room and tied up a nymph to demonstrate a tying technique he was talking about.

-- Paul