Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flykid

Stocking up for trout

I am fairly new to fly fishing and tying and i'm not very experienced with knowing what flies to tie for spring and summer trout. Anyone have any ideas for Dries, nymphs, and streamers for michigan waters? Sizes would also be helpful. Thanks!

I'm not so sure about Michigan waters, but some that I would never go without:

Dries

EHC #12-20, Olive, yellow, and black

Adams #12-24

Hendrickson #14-16

Stimulator #14-10

Royal Wulff #12-16

Foam Ant #16

Hopper #6-12

Sulfur #14-18 Comparadun and traditional

Nymphs

Copper John #12-18 Red, copper, and brown

PT Nymph #12-22

BHPT Nymph #12-22

Hares Ear #12-18 Olive and Natural

BH Hares Ear #12-18 Olive and Natural

Little Yellow Stonefly #14

Big Black Stonefly #6-10

Zebra Midges #16-28

Scud #14-20 Grey, olive, and orange

Egg #10-20

San Juan Worm #12-18

Have fun. :D

~Bryce

This is very basic and will cover most of your bases

Dries-

Adams in 12-18

Light Cahill in 12-18

Brown, Black and Yellow Stimulators in sizes 10-16

Elk Hair Caddis in brown, olive, brown, and black in 12-18

Emergers-

Olive, Brown, Cream Klinkhammers in 10-16

Nymphs-

PT Nymphs in 10-16

Hares Ear is 10-16

Black, Brown Stone Nymphs in 12-16

Green Rock Woms in 12-16

Terrestrials-

Dave's Hopper in 8-12

Dave's Cricket in 8-12

Beetle in 10-12

Black, Brown, Cinnamon Ants in 14-18

Streamers-

Black, Brown, Olive, White Wooly Buggers 6-8

Muddler Minnows 6

Yellow, Olive Zoo Cougar 2-4

Chart/ White Clouser Minnows in size 6

Then get stuff for the specific hatches you know you'll run into such as Hex, Brown Drakes, etc.

Not 100% on where I'm goin to fish. Wherever I can get to. Hopefully only an hour or two from where I live. I also plan on fishing the Big Manistee .

Id focus on the tibawassie (sp) for smallies and walleye!!! They will put a bigger bend in your rod!! Just do not eat them!!!!

Yeah, I fish the Chippewa which I think flows into or out of the titabawassee for smallies, but I also would like to try and catch my first trout. But I do love to get a smallie on the end of my line!

There's a few rivers/streams just to the NW of you. The Clam and Middle Branch come to mind. A buddy of mine used to have a cabin near there and was present during a DNR shocking survey. The size of the fish were VERY respectable, with many trout in the upper teens. It's small water though and stealth essential!

Good Day,

My late unkle had a place on the Clam jsut a about 100 yards downstream of where the special regs start on the upper section not too far out of Cadillac. Thats where I actually taught him about downstream dry fly fishing... Nice brookies though, real pretty... but this is an odd stream and quite fragile.

Steelie

Id focus on the tibawassie (sp) for smallies and walleye!!! They will put a bigger bend in your rod!! Just do not eat them!!!!

Walleyes? Fight? :hyst:

Every Walleye and Sauger I've ever caught has fought with all the tenacity of a clump of weeds.

DEFINITELY don't overlook the Smallmouth. :headbang:

And also don't overlook the good 'ol Woolly Bugger. Fish 'em as big or as small as you want; #16 up to a #2 6xl hook (such as the Tiemco TMC 300). Tie 'em as flashy or as drab as you want. Add rubber legs. Add Twister Tails. Add a spinner out the back attached to a barrel swivel in place of the Marabou. Add 'em all. Or just tie 'em the way they're usually tied. They'll all catch fish.

Prince Nymphs, Hare's Ears, and Copper Johns are all good choices. Thread midges. Double Bunnies. Zoo Cougars. Sparkleminnows (palmered dubbing brush of Angel Hair with a marabou tail and krystal flash accent on the tail) in #4-#8.

Would you believe I've never caught a fish on a wooly bugger? Maybe I just don't have the confidence to fish them after so many skunkings while using 'em.

~Bryce

Would you believe I've never caught a fish on a wooly bugger? Maybe I just don't have the confidence to fish them after so many skunkings while using 'em.

~Bryce

Same here... I stopped tying them altogether, I just figure I have enough to last me a few more skunkings, and if I don't catch a fish with the one's I have left, then there is no reason to tie more.

Its funny how some people just cannot buy a fish on some patterns. The Woolly Bugger is my go-to fly for bass (green and bronze varieties) and trout. I've had good luck on Sparkleminnows (Woolly Bugger variant) too for Trout.

Good Day,

Perhaps we have to ask a few questions...

Are you dead drifting your wooly or imparting action?

What materials are you tying them with?

Steelie