Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Redwings1

Hendrickson lifecycle

Working on a shadowbox for a friend's father...birthday is next week. He is an avid fly fisherman so of course it will be flies. I picked the Hendrickson as it is the first 'major' hatch here in Ohio on the Mad River. Figured I would post it so you guys can check it out ;)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Sweet job, Mike! Beautiful set of flies! Your friends Dad is going to love this set of flies. You should tell him he needs to buy a couple sets (one for framing and a couple full sets for fishing with)...

buy a couple sets (one for framing and a couple full sets for fishing with)...

He is actually one of my regular customers. He is a teacher and his wife a retired teacher, so they spend three months every year tooling around out west fishing from river to river :headbang:

Redwings1, could you post a pattern for that first soft hackle (2nd big pic)? That looks pretty cool. I also fish on the Mad. Do you help out with any of the work days that the TU Madmen do on the Mad? If so maybe we've met and didn't realize it.

Thanks Lynn

flytyer56, the second nymph is basically a softhackle with a ragged wing. Tie in a pheasant tail tail and the body is dubbed and wrapped over with a copper rib. Then tie in a slim wing of a mottled brown feather (like turkey or Argus) and finish off with a few wraps of a Hungarian Partridge feather.

from '98 until early '05 I only missed maybe three or four of the workdays. The last few years I have been to busy between my house and work thatI have only made it to two...opting to instead use the day to fish the water instead of work in it. I hope to make it over to help out Tom and the guys once the days start up again in March.

Redwings1, I don't make it to all of them but try to get to as many as possible. Maybe I'll see you there this year.

Thanks for the imfo on the soft hackle. I'm going to have to tie some up!

Lynn