Fly Tying
breambuster

Killer Big Bluegill Fly Swap

OK guys, my flies for this one are gonna be a larger fly for gills, but it lands me many hogs outta the farm ponds, so Ill go with it. Its a small minnow pattern, and Ill get started on em in the morning.

Dustin

I got a few of the TussleBug's tied up this weekend. I just stopped by BassPro to pick up some more materials. Here are a couple of pics of my contribution to this swap. These are size 12.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Has anyone got a picture of a large bluegill? When I was a kid I used to fish for what may have been red eared sunfish?? I know they are not the same but are they sort of close? :)

Hi Inconnu, Take a look at this website.

http://www.cnr.vt.edu/efish/families/bluegill.html

There are pictures of a large variety of Sunfishes, including bluegills and red eared sunfish. They are closely related. In fact, in the South, not being too precise about names, we tend to call anything that has the same general shape of a bluegill a "Bream" with the exception of crappies. We might say, "Hey, look at this funny looking bream!" And the other will say, "Yeah, that's one of them red eared bream."

And, for the most part, the flies that would work for one would work for the other. Basically, any fly that will work for trout will catch 'gills. Stone flies don't inhabit standing water, but I'm sure that a bead head, rubber legged golden stone fly nymph would catch "bream." Just because it has a bead head, rubber legs & the color is right.

If you want to look at a variety of bluegill flies, try the following links.

http://www.warmwaterflyfisher.com/jarsoffl...es_bluegill.htm

(You will notice that our fellow lister, John Ridderbos, had contributed several things here.)

and

http://www.warmwaterflytyer.com/patterns.asp

(I'm contributing the Carter's Dragon from this page to the "Here's Looking At You Swap.")

Take care

R

To my surprise last summer, a Case Helgrammite (plastic) worked extremely well on a lake, where there ain't no Helgies!

post-4914-1173157356_thumb.jpgHere is a shot of them hope you guys like. They really work great,,,,,,,,,,,B

Nice work coming outta the Batcave there! They won't catch the Joker or Two Face, but they'll catch fish!!

In the 'good ol days', the name crappie, crappy or whatever ,was used a lot. Where do they fit into the scheme of things? Haven't heard it mentioned in a long time.

Have a good one

Pat Carroll

Pat, there is still a lot of Crappie fishing going on. In fact, there are several good websites dedicated to crappie fishing. Crappies are members of the sunfish family, but larger than 'gills. And they are usually caught deep, around structure, with either live minnows or jigs.

Are you saying that 'gills & other sunfish were called "Crappie" in your area?

Take care

BB

BB

Many years ago, I lived about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh on the Allegheny River. That seemed to be the name they were called in that area. I know there are a few members of this site familiar with that area now, and should be able to add a few comments.

Here in California, they are strictly gills, and a lot of fun to catch!!

Have a good one, go Steelers. We'll do better next year!

Pat Carroll