Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SteelieD

Another first - Saltwater Clouser

Since stainless hooks and eye balz are kind of expensive, I thought I'd look for for some feedback before going crazy with these. I'm told they should be tied sparse and short for the waters of Puget Sound.

IPB Image

Looks pretty good, and yes...in general Clousers should be tied sparsely no matter where you intend to fish them (except perhaps in very stained water where you need a little darker profile). You have about the right amount of hair, but I would recommend tying on a longer shank hook (about 1/3 longer). Proportionally you want to eyes tied in 1/3 - 1/2 back on the hook shank.

Ditto on Red's comments. I would also add that the bucktail should lie a little flatter, i.e. it is not flaring.

Nice looking eyes :bugeyes:

Thanks.

Redwings - I'm tying on TMC 800S hooks. Any other recommendations?

beaver - So how do I keep the hair from flaring? Am I cinching the thread too tight? Or maybe too close behind the eyes...

As for the flaring, I would say you are tying up too tight to the eyes. I think it was on this board that someone pointed out that Clouser actually ties them with something like 1/8 of an inch between the eyes and the closest wraps. By staying ahead of the eyes a little, it allows the hair to lay a little more flat. Next time you tie one, lay the hair on and then watch as you put each wrap a little closer to the eyes. To help with the concept, wrap all the way back to the eyes - you can always back it off. You will see the hair flair more with each wrap.

Still need a longer hook (and a steadier hand when taking a picture), but I think I got the 'flaring' taken care of...

IPB Image

Nice clouser you made there. Just a hint but try tying one on a circle hook. I have been tying mine on 34007 Mustad stainless, but I am trying to convert over to circle. I bought a package of 6 at Walmart Gamakatsu 3/0 and they look real nice.

Very nice clouser!!!!!!!!!

Dave

Hey Dave,

Thanks. Sent you PM.

So what are the advantages to circle hooks? I seem to recall a debate about this on another board at one point, but don't really remember what the key points were/are.

With a circle hook if the fish takes and turns and the line tenses, you got him. I use circles for nearly all my saltwater patterns, and most of my topwater too since the fish has to turn or learn to fly.

Tying on circle hooks takes some adaptation since you don't have much shank room but its worth it.

The flaring bucktail may have less to do with what you're doing than with where on the tail it came from, hair near the base of the tail tends to be more like deer body hair and it flares far more than hair taken from the tips.

That second clouser looks spot on, you can even move the eyes further back for a different action and you may find its easier to cast as well.

Watch Bob Clouser tie the Clouser Minnow, from the expert himself.

http://flyfisherman.com/ftb/bobclouser/

watch in video 2 where he stops the wraps for the belly hair.

In Part I pay attention to how he positions the eyes. He starts the thread at the 1/3 point and makes a bump of thread. He then places the eyes behind the bump and pushes them up to the bump and cross wraps them on. He also measures his proportions by dividing the total hook length in thirds.

Edit added: I just finished watching the video Mr. Clouser does on epoxing at the link "flytire" posted. It really shows how his flies are proportioned and how sparse they are. Note what he says about not binding the hair down clear up to the eyes.